Buying First Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Invasian

Solid State Member
Well not really my first computer, but it mine as well be since I've had the same computer for a very long time, and It was bought for me.

I've never bought a computer before, especially the kind that I'll be looking for, so I needed opinions and any help I could get, because the last thing I need to be doing is spending 2000 Dollars that I don't have on a PC that isn't as good as I thought.

First, my budget is about 1500 Dollars. Basically I've never been a PC gamer, however I do play Counter-Strike sometimes, and I've been playing Starcraft for years, and with games like Far Cry 2 and Starcraft 2 coming out, and the newly released Crysis (Which I'd love to play) out, I need to pretty good PC.

I've heard from plenty of people that you don't need to spend 2000 Dollars like some people think, to play games like Crysis. Someone I know had a pretty good computer that played Crysis in very high settings for the most part, his resolution wasn't maxed, and I don't think he had AA, but the framerate was pretty good, and spent a little under 1K, he bought everything wholesale.

First of all, I don't know where to buy a computer, I do know I should probably get It online, and I need a website thats generally cheap, and allows some sort of way to build a PC there, because theres no way I can buy the parts and put it together my self, i don't know how to build a PC or know anyone who does.

I was thinking something like a NVIDIA 8800GT, 2 GB of ram, Intel Dual Core (Not sure which kind), but thats as far as my knowledge goes, I'm not sure what the rest of a PC like this needs to be like, from the Motherboard, to the Power Supply.

If anyone can help me figuring out the best PC i can make (Preferably under 1500, but If thats not possible, I'll try to see If i can afford around 1500), and help me to find out where to buy.

I also need to know If I should get Vista, as I've heard theres been plenty of people using XP and using some config to get vista dx10 graphics on XP with Crysis. (Yes Crysis is a very large influence in me getting a gaming PC.)

Also, sorry how long this is, I actually didn't realize how much there is here to read, but ANY help what so ever would be seriously appreciated.

Heres the Set-Up I have.

Case: (PSU Included)

Newegg.com - Antec Sonata III Black 0.8mm cold rolled steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 500W Power Supply - Retail

HD:

Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS (Perpendicular Recording Technology) 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

GPU:

Newegg.com - BFG Tech BFGE88512GTOCE GeForce 8800GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

RAM:

Newegg.com - A-DATA Extreme Edition 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

Motherboard:

Newegg.com - Open Box: ASUS P5N32-E SLI LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard

CPU:

Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 Conroe 2.66GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor - Retail

CPU Cooler:

Newegg.com - ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler - Retail

you really should try building your own computer. its not as hard as it seems.

http://www.techist.com/forums/f76/critiques-friends-planned-build-161034/ , you can toss in some decent speakers, a mouse, and a keyboard and still be under budget by quite a bit

some nice online stores are frys.com, tigerdirect.com, clubIT.com, petrastechshop.com, and newegg.com, but i dont think they'll put the stuff together for you.... again you should give it a shot

Assuming you plan on building your own, start off by checking out b1gapl's Recommended PC Components thread. $1500 should be more than enough to suit you well.

Check out the parts listed in his thread on Newegg and post what you think would be a good build. You will get more than enough support.

I personally recommend starting out with the Q6600.

Alright, here are my recommendations.

1. The hard drive you selected uses a fat, space consuming ribbon cable. Pick a SATA3.0 drive instead. That exact 7200.10 320GB drive has a SATA3.0 version as well.

2. Maybe someone else can vouch for those A-DATA Extreme's, but I've never heard of them. I recommend Crucial Ballistix.

3. I would get a motherboard using the P35 chipset. SLI doesn't scale well, and generally isn't worth it. Maybe try the Abit IP35 instead? Or the Gigabyte P35-DS3R.

4. The E6750 is an excellent processor, and it's fine if that's what you want. However, keep the Q6600 Quad-Core in mind.

Alright, here are my recommendations.

1. The hard drive you selected uses a fat, space consuming ribbon cable. Pick a SATA3.0 drive instead. That exact 7200.10 320GB drive has a SATA3.0 version as well.

2. Maybe someone else can vouch for those A-DATA Extreme's, but I've never heard of them. I recommend Crucial Ballistix.

3. I would get a motherboard using the P35 chipset. SLI doesn't scale well, and generally isn't worth it. Maybe try the Abit IP35 instead? Or the Gigabyte P35-DS3R.

4. The E6750 is an excellent processor, and it's fine if that's what you want. However, keep the Q6600 Quad-Core in mind.

Thanks, I'll look for those.

Don't need a Quad, as I said, Crysis is a main reason for me getting a new PC, and Crysis doesn't benefit at all from Quads, so I don't think it's necessary.

Thanks though, these are the things I need to know, quality etc, so I don't spend money needlessly.

Hows this for an HD?

Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS (Perpendicular Recording Technology) 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

Thanks, I'll look for those.

Don't need a Quad, as I said, Crysis is a main reason for me getting a new PC, and Crysis doesn't benefit at all from Quads, so I don't think it's necessary.

Thanks though, these are the things I need to know, quality etc, so I don't spend money needlessly.

Hows this for an HD?

You haven't done your research. Crysis probably gets more benefit from quads than any other game! It was specifically designed with quad cores in mind.

... and that Hard Drive looks great.

I too had never built a pc before. The guys here talked me into building, and they helped me out alot.

I am very glad I listened to them and built it myself....I got so much more for my money.

I am not sure about that Ram, you may be able to get some crucial ram, or corsair, for not much more. If you get an Asus motherboard, they seem to recommend corsair ram, although that is not necessary.

I really would not get an open box motherboard, because the you may be forced to buy all the extra cables you need...you should be able to find a good deal on a new and completely boxed motherboard.

You are gonna be very happy with your new pc..... I hope you enjoy building it and enjoy Crysis.

you picked a pretty high resolution monitor, so be aware that you may need to upgrade video cards more often than if you would have picked a lower resolution monitor. If you plan on running 2 video cards , then it will not matter.

That is gonna be a nice pc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom