Critiques on friends planned build?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Durftard

In Runtime
Helping a friend plan his christmas present :)

budget is around $1300, and hes in love with the green smilodon case, i couldnt talk him out of it. he'd also like to run vista.

CPU: Newegg.com - Intel Dual-Core E2180 Allendale 2.0GHz 1MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor - Retail
HEATSINK: Newegg.com - ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler - Retail
MOBO: Newegg.com - ABIT IP35-E LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
RAM: 2x Newegg.com - A-DATA Extreme Edition 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail
GPU: ClubIT Product - EVGA Geforce 8800GT Superclocked 512MB 256bit GDDR3 PCI-Express 2.0 HDCP & SLI Ready Video Card Retail 512-P3-N802-A1
PSU: Newegg.com - PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610 EPS12V EPS12V 610W Continuous @ 40°C Power Supply 100 - 240 V UL, cUL, CE, CB, TUV - Retail
CASE: Newegg.com - RAIDMAX Smilodon Extreme Black ATX-612WEB SECC STEEL ATX Mid Tower Computer CaseNo Power Supply - Retail
HDD: Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250410AS 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
DISPLAY: Newegg.com - CHIMEI CMV 221D-NBC Black 22" 5ms DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor 330 cd/m2 800:1 - Retail
OPTICAL: Newegg.com - LITE-ON Black 20X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 20X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 8X DVD-R DL 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM IDE Burner with LightScribe Technology - Retail
O/S: Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows Vista 64-Bit Ultimate for System Builders Single Pack DVD - OEM

TOTAL: 1034.89 + 288.99 = 1323.88 with $65 MIR

I'm not sure what a good brandname is for optical drives :/
Any place have cheaper 512MB GT's in stock?

Any piece in here look wrong?

Thanks ahead of time.

Great build, great choices!!!

There are some good brand names for optical drives. But in general, you can just get a drive with high ratings.

The Tuniq needs a case with at least 19 cm of clearance, which is 7.5 in. The case is 8 in. wide, so it should fit.

I'd get a different power supply. One with PFC.

... and I've heard of 8800GT 512MB's as low as $210... but couldn't point you to any right now.

The Tuniq is a little overkill for that processor, but it might be nice to have it if you ever upgrade to a quad core.

The Tuniq needs a case with at least 19 cm of clearance, which is 7.5 in. The case is 8 in. wide, so it should fit.

Looks like theres a sidefan right above where the cpu is supposed to sit :/

Guess he'll have to settle for an AF7!

I'd get a different power supply. One with PFC.

... and I've heard of 8800GT 512MB's as low as $210... but couldn't point you to any right now.

Sorry, what's PFC? When I built my computer a few months ago, the RP550 was being suggested as a good budget alternative.
edit:: is this it? Power factor correction, a technique of counteracting the undesirable effects of electric loads

Yeah, I couldn't find the $210 MSI ones that Dell was selling before... boo

Sorry, what's PFC? When I built my computer a few months ago, the RP550 was being suggested as a good budget alternative.

Guess I missed that, my bad. AF7 isn't bad either.

PFC is power factor correction. It helps the PSU to achieve a better efficiency and keep the PSU more stable.

Active PFC (Power Factor Correction)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom