"Clicking" On Boot, Possibly Hard Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

westy159

In Runtime
Ive put my new build together and on the touch of the power button all the fans start spinning but i also hear this clicking sound, its in a steady rythm, it seems to be coming from the hard drive or something at the front of the case.

i didnt hear any beeps on start up, the mobo screen did come up.

Thanks for your feedback.

Yes, its the hard drive, i unplugged it and the clicking stopped.
So what does this mean? Should i stop using it immediately or keep it going to see if the clicking stops?

What is the clicking from anyway?

Ive just had a thought. What if i inserted the HDD in upside down?

Too late for me to test that but is this a possibility?

Ive just had a thought. What if i inserted the HDD in upside down?

Too late for me to test that but is this a possibility?

I don't think that would cause too much of a problem. My friend has turned hard drives over that were in external enclosures with no noticeable problems. You also see those vertical external enclosures as well...

Sounds like it's simply a bad drive...

Yep, hard drive's gone, you have to return it. Turning the hard drive upside down won't affect it.

*one trip and back to the local PC store later*
I got a new HD, annoyed a bit that i had to but its all working now, the HD is curently being formatted for install of XP.
Thats my last £30 gone. I bought a 80GB Seagate, all that i could get. Will never go Hitachi again.

Hopefully Scan will get me a replacement soon.

Yeah, one of my friends shook one of my hard drives to screw with me once. It was running on an IDE to USB cable with no enclosure of any kind, and nothing happened, so I doubt it being upside down would do much.

But if its a new build...take the HD back to the store, man...

Yeh I had this problem with a 20GB Maxtor on my old 1.2GHz Duron PC. I was going to get a new drive but the GeForce 4 broke due to overclocking before I could. Hence why I have got this PC.

The casue of the sound is the Reading spindle slapping on the top of the drive casing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom