Help and suggestions on what new comp I should buy and where?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heaven's Fury

Beta member
Hi, I'm a mostly broke college student planning to buy a computer with financial aid in January, and I don't have any idea what I should get. =P

All I know is I want it to:

be as inexpensive as possible (no higher than $750, preferably closer to $300-400 though)
play games like Sims 2 without any lag
play 3D MMOs like RO2, preferably any lag there being the server's fault :p
run large multi-layer files in Photoshop without any trouble
run multiple IM chat windows in combination with these things
play high-quality video files (like H264) without lag
have at least a 120gb hard drive (more is totally better though)
have Windows XP and NOT Vista
have a CD burner
not overheat and crash
preferably have more than 3 USB ports
have a decent sound card and a good graphics card
it needs a monitor to come with it - lightweight is better
I'd like it to have a floppy drive, but if such thing as a USB floppy drive exists, then I don't really care about that.
and not be TOO huge and bulky - I want this to be something I could probably carry to a friend's house on the bus or something without too much trouble. If there's something that isn't teeny tiny but is way cheaper than said teeny tiny computer, I'd be willing to sacrifice that, though.

A laptop fitting these categories would be awesome, but I don't know if it would come as cheap as $750 (and about every laptop in the world seems to have Vista now), so a PC is okay.

Also, if I could be pointed to a cheap scanner/printer combo in addition to this, that'd be great :D

This is my first post on the forums here, so I'm sorry if I made any mistakes in where I put this topic... I know I hate it when people do that in forums I frequent, so hopefully I didn't mess up!

Thank you!! <3

You can create great budget builds off of newegg.com. Check out their barebone packages, which include mobo case and psu. Also, a good monitor alone will run you $200-$300. I just built a $300 budget build for my girlfriends parents, however it used on board sound and graphics and for your applications that may not be enough. Therefore, I suggest just checking out the barebone kits and matching it up with a descent cpu, vid card, sound card, and of course ram. There is alot of products which would work for your budget and situation so I did not list anything too specific

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom