New HD? help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devon8822

Baseband Member
I posted hear about a year ago, to help me get a good HD, and I got the recommended Seagate Barracuda. The thing crapped out on me and I have to pay 500 to get the data back. I don't blame it on you guys. Could I get some new recommendations? I want to get 2 500 GB drives this time, one for backup. Mybe it will be even smart to get 2 different kinds? making it less likely for both to **** up? idk? anyways, any recommendations for good quality, 500 GB HDs, would be great. Last time people were saying how good the seagates are, is it normal for them to mess up like that, or did i just get unlucky? thanks!

Seagate Barracuda is the one I'd recommend. It's the only brand of drives I'm using now (and in the last year or two). Every manufacturer can have a failure. I used to be a Maxtor fan until I had two different drives in two system go when the drives were about seven months and less than two months old. I've had more Fujitsus and Western Digitals fail than any others though. I've yet to loose a Seagate, but it's only a matter of time. I'd say you were just unlucky. Seagate has a five year warranty, so get that one replaced and get a second to go with it. If your motherboard is capable of doing RAID 1 mirroring, seriously consider it. That's how I am surviving HD failures without doing regular backups.

if you know what your doing with computers, and your mobo can do this, then get 2 drives and put them in raid 1.

raid 1 basically just is a complete back up of your first hdd. everything you do to drive 1, drive 2 will copy it. so if drive 1 crashes, drive 2 will kick in and then you can send back broken drive 1 for a new one and continue on in life like nothing bad ever happened.

Capricorn- totally didn't see you already said that, lol, but i thought i'd keep my post here to just magnify the smartness of doing a raid setup.

Apparently I need a raid controller? Right? can i just do this with to drives or do I need a RAID controller?

If a raid controller is required, what should I get?

some boards have built in RAID Controller built in.. whats your board? because it may already have one

My motherboard is old and ******. My bro told me it doesn't have a raid controller built in, so I have to get one. Any advice on that? What raid controller should i get?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom