zomg!! it's time for a new computer! (3d modeling, animation, image editing goodness)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: zomg!! it's time for a new computer! (3d modeling, animation, image editing goodn

one question i do have is, as far as running the 1 raptor and 3 regular7200 rpm drives, is whether or not its really going to effect my system.
don't worry, it won't

good

Newegg.com - ABIT IP35 Pro LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
^^
same one b1gapl mentioned earlier, btw where is the big guy?
i think the pro performs better and has several extra features and after MIR its only $20 more than the regular

lol dunno about this, only person here who knows quadro's is UA_iron

can you say overkill?
get this one
Newegg.com - PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610 EPS12V EPS12V 610W Continuous @ 40°C Power Supply 100 - 240 V UL, cUL, CE, CB, TUV - Retail

not ideal to get 1066 RAM, DDR2 800 RAM can overclock to those speeds for cheaper than getting 1066 which cant overclock that high and have worse timing for more $$, not worth it
get this
Newegg.com - Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

good

raptors are hardly, hardly faster than these, and run much hotter and louder and are outdated
see below

ok, get 3 x Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST31000340AS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

can you put 3 in RAID 1, not sure someone help me out here, he's probably gonna want data protection
5 x 500gb in raid 5 would be another option

Re: zomg!! it's time for a new computer! (3d modeling, animation, image editing goodn

well yet again after some more research and after talking with some instructors they were talking about a game graphics card being more that sufficient. soooo now i guess im back at square one.

Are Quadro's **** for playing games ? like that $1400 beast ?

Are Quadro's **** for playing games ? like that $1400 beast ?

they are.. Quadro's are built for Engineering.. but I've seen a couple of em do decently in Modern games.. (still better than mine of course hehe)

ya from the research that ive done, it seems that with the quadro you get alot of power, and a more stable card, where as you can get close to or the same performance from a gaming card, but have more issues with compatibility with other hardware, software etc.

i have been researching the different types of raid setups and am still a bit noobish on that end so i am going to keep learning about that to ultimately decide on how to set up the hard drives and how many to use.

and as far as the ram, am i going to have an issue with just installing and going? or am i going to need to up the voltages? err cause on newegg it says that the standard ram is ddr2 800.i guess i dont really know what "standard memory" means.

ok so i have been doing some research for a while and decided against the quadro cards, my primary work is modeling, texturing, and animation.
so i don't really see the need for the huge workstation card. after surfing cgsociety.com and zbrushcentral.com i haven't found enough
evidence to validate buying a quadro. Also i was contemplating a dual xeon workstation setup, but the amount of actual rendering i do, compared
to the 2d work, doesn't make sense to go for the 8 cores. so the single processor core 2 quad setup will provide plenty of power. I ruled out SLI
because the 3d apps i use, wouldn't utilize it, and to be honest i don't have time to play games. So i would like to thank the people that helped with advice
on the build. So here is the final build, going to order in a few weeks.

Motherboard:

Newegg.com - ABIT IP35 Pro LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

processor:

Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor - Retail

cpu heatsink:

Newegg.com - ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler - Retail

RAM:

2x Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

Video Card:

Newegg.com - EVGA 512-P3-N841-A3 GeForce 8800GTS (G92) 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

HDD:

3x Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250410AS 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

Power Supply:

Newegg.com - PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610 EPS12V EPS12V 610W Continuous @ 40°C Power Supply 100 - 240 V UL, cUL, CE, CB, TUV - Retail

Optical Drive:

Newegg.com - PHILIPS 2-Tone 20X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 20X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 24X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe - Retail

Monitors:

2x Newegg.com - SAMSUNG 225BW Black 22" 5 ms (GTG) DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor with Height Adjustments 280 cd/m2 700:1 - Retail

case:

Newegg.com - APEVIA X-DISCOVERY-BL Blue Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

xp pro 64 bit

if i have forgot anything, let me know.

Looks like a go, from here...but why three 250GB? Why not two 750GB for a little more?

i was thinking of setting them up in raid 3, but i dunno. i may switch back to the original 2 750's. I need to figure out if its worth it to use the raid with only 750 gigs of storage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom