Half-memory only being detected...but....

Status
Not open for further replies.

drewhiggins

Solid State Member
...every single stick only is detected as having half of each capacity - all double-sided sticks - so if you stick in a 1GB stick as I did you'll get 512MB and a 512MB stick gets 256MB and so forth.

This board (Gigabyte i848p) has three slots and each one shows only half the memory so it's not confined to just the one. Now I know the memory isn't faulty (brand-new from MSY) if any of you know that place. Proof comes directly from CPU-Z but Windows and the BIOS just don't know it's there. I edited the second screenshot for obvious reasons...

cpuzfw9.png

winct5.png

Any ideas why? Is it worth returning the 1GB stick and getting a single-side stick?

I had a look at your motherboard specs and it did not say your motherboard uses ddr-Sdram it just said ddr . It may just be the problem .. Other then that i would load optimized defaults in the bios and make sure the ram is running at the voltage it should be running on if it isnt change it . Also maybe try updating your bios

DDR400 it has been using fine for the time being.

I've tried loading optimized defaults and no go - the voltages are correct too. Is it worth updating the BIOS maybe?

Ive Got a feeling its to do with your Ram not being compatible if i was picking ram for that board i would of just got normal ddr ram not SD and not double sided , Anyway see what every one else thinks

But it was working fine before. 512MB sticks were recognised as 512MB, 256MB sticks recognised at 256MB. I had no issues with it - the memory was always recognised. It just suddenly started seeing only half of every single stick. Would flashing the BIOS help maybe, it could have corrupted - but how I don't know.

Maybe I'll try single-sided RAM or get a new board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom