What would happen if you threw a power supply in a pool?

Status
Not open for further replies.

undergrounddlz

Baseband Member
I was reading my COMPTIA 2006 book a sec ago, and it was talking about how monitors and PSU's are considered "black boxes" and too never open them unless you are trained how. Also said even when they are no longer plugged in, and out of the case, the charged capicitors can still contain enough electricity to kill someone...

It just popped into my head what would happen if you were to throw one into a pool, with possibly people in it? Hypothetically speaking of course. :)

The capacitors in it would discharge into the water, but thats only if there is a charge in them.

they do hold a charge not for long tho. i know i took one psu apart after about like an hour and the screwdriver made an arc on something, destroying the psu. so now i wait 48hrs and there is no ark.

and as a precaution, i also press the power button on the pc after i unplug it, but before i disconnect it. dont know if it does anything, but it might discharge the stored energy.

You can discharge the arc with a multi-meter rated at 500VDC. Also, I think pressing the power button with no power-feed does sap the PSU's capacitors making it safe.

Oh ****...

I've taken apart psus multiple times just for fun...those ****** stock ones, usually rated too low to control modern pcs, from scrap pcs...was I in mortal peril without knowing it?

Oh ****...

I've taken apart psus multiple times just for fun...those ****** stock ones, usually rated too low to control modern pcs, from scrap pcs...was I in mortal peril without knowing it?

Well, 500VDC capacitors do pack a punch.

Meh, I've taken apart a ton of them to replace fans, steal fans, steal other stuff, etc. I've never been shocked. Just either don't touch the capacitors, or discharge it with something. All you gotta do is plug something into it and jump it or something and it will drain all the power, or at least enough to make it safe.

Now CRT's and TV's on the other hand...very very dangerous! They can store upwards of 30,000VAC at high amperage for quite a while, which will pretty much instantly kill you. You can easily discharge it, but you must be very careful.

EDIT: haha, this is what would happen:

YouTube - Computer Power supply Vs. Water

Meh, I've taken apart a ton of them to replace fans, steal fans, steal other stuff, etc. I've never been shocked. Just either don't touch the capacitors, or discharge it with something. All you gotta do is plug something into it and jump it or something and it will drain all the power, or at least enough to make it safe.

Now CRT's and TV's on the other hand...very very dangerous! They can store upwards of 30,000VAC at high amperage for quite a while, which will pretty much instantly kill you. You can easily discharge it, but you must be very careful.

EDIT: haha, this is what would happen:

YouTube - Computer Power supply Vs. Water

My friend's brother was at work one day, and one of his co-workers was working on an open CRT monitor. And apparently, as the story was told to me, a guy was walking buy and touched the guy who was working on the monitor, and the guy that was walking by/touched the other guy got the shock and it made him fly backwards, yet the guy working on the monitor was unharmed lol. The guy was all right, but that's still one helluva punch o_O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom