VMware and VMconverter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Screamsalvation

Baseband Member
Some of you will remember me from previous postings, some of you will not. Here is a break down and my current stance.

I have an old windows NT server box that has an old photo database program in it that I would love to turn into a VM and use anywhere I need to, (This old program stored the photos in it's own database files so extraction would take a professional company). I managed to use a password reset tool to reset the admin password since no one at my work knew it, suppousedly the only person that knew the password was about 3 IT guys ago.

I tired to use converter on the machine tonight told it to do the local machine, picked both the partitions of the harddrive as the source, and the destination as an extra HDD that I had put into the box for the VM. The total amount was about 10-11gigs though the source HDD is 80 gigs. Told it to do the Min size of the partitions, then VMware standalone virtual machine, named it and choose the extra HDD as the location asked if I wanted to clone the machine onto itself and I picked "Yes". Now it asked about the use of the disks, I picked, "Allow virtual disk files to grow" which is where I may have messed up as I had several other things stored on that drive. It went through the process fine till about 97% and then it failed and wiped out the file structure on the extra HDD. Is it possible to convert this NT box into a virtual machine that I could move around and run where ever I need to run it? What did I do wrong? Little help here would be greatly appreciated.

I have a memory of telling you how to solve your problem and you ignoring the advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom