Uneven core temps(q6600)

Status
Not open for further replies.

slvrstang

Daemon Poster
So I've had some uneven core temps, core #0 has been runnin as high as 4-5* higher idle and 2-3* higher on load

So I lapped it, thinking I had an uneven IHS or heatsink.

The temps dropped a lot! I went from 72C in prime95 to 63C in prime95!
(The 72c was with 1.3250v @ 3.40, the 63C is with 1.4250v @ 3.60 which is an even bigger improvement by lapping)

BUT! I have an even bigger difference in core temps.

Idle:
0 - 38C
1 - 36C
2 - 30C <--- 8C!!!
3 - 35C

Load (prime95):
0 - 63
1 - 62
2 - 60
3 - 61

I know one of my cores spike up around a 6c difference but drops back to 1-2c difference. Is it like that constantly?

I know one of my cores spike up around a 6c difference but drops back to 1-2c difference. Is it like that constantly?

Yes, Core 0 is always the hottest and Core 2 is always the coolest.

Core 1&3 are generally the same temp.

I'm going to try laying the PC on it's side and measuring the temps to see if the Heatsink isn't on evenly (screws are tightened incorrectly).

It's a Tuniq Tower 120, so it has it's own special mounting system which includes thumbscrews which may not be evenly torqued.

I had a similar issue with my q6600....until i lapped. Now that everything is good and flat, i have almost no variance in temps across the board. Also, be glad its just a 6C variance, i had as much as 14C at load from cores 0/3 and cores 1/2.

Laying the PC on it's side had no effect on temps.

Can't think of much else to do but reseat the heatsink...again...

Sometimes there's only so much you can do. Lapping will only even out the surface of the IHS, there's not much you can do if there's something going on under the IHS.

Sometimes there's only so much you can do. Lapping will only even out the surface of the IHS, there's not much you can do if there's something going on under the IHS.

Actually, you can Remove the IHS. But its far riskier than Lapping. And I have only seen it done on AMD's.

A64 / Opteron Ihs Removal Guide - OverclockersClub Forums

Oh, well I found one for C2D's.. Its more lapping than removal.
Legit Reviews - Intel IHS Lapping and Removal For LGA775 CPU's - Giving Intel Core 2 Duo A New Appearance

My temps are usually 10 celcius differance with a max difference of 12 celcius at times, who cares whats the big deal :p

My temps are usually 10 celcius differance with a max difference of 12 celcius at times, who cares whats the big deal :p

The big deal is that, at least in my mind, if one of the cores is at 30, and another at 38, then the one at 38 isn't being cooled enough.

Also, I'll hit my temp limit at 70 62 62 62 whereas if core0 was the same as the other cores, I could overclock/volt more.

but seriously...this chip is uber 3.60ghz on a 2.40ghz cpu? crazy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom