Video Codec

Status
Not open for further replies.

peterhuang913

Retired.
I think I installed a malicious video codec. Is there a way to see which codec WMP uses or to see which one it uses for a particular video?

I also used a programs called Sherlock and it said that "Lead MCMW Decoder 2.0" and "Lead MCMW Encoder 2.0" was not uninstalled properly.

The problem I'm having is that my AVI files won't play in WMP and it plays in Showtime.

Here's what you should try to do.

First thing to try is to Uninstall thru Add/Remove programs any video Codecs you have. This includes Divx, or anything codec you resently installed. If you can't find the ones you recently installed, continue ->

1. Right click on My Computer -> Click Properties

2. Click Hardware Tab -> Click Device Manager Button

3. Expand the 'Sound, video and game controller' drop down

4. Double click 'Video Codecs'

5. Click Properties Tab

6. Remove or Disable the Video Codec (I'm not sure which ones, but it you see the codec you recently installed, I would disable it first, then possible remove it later).

Lastly, Download and install the Combined Community Codec Pack Combined Community Codec Pack

Hope this helps.

Here's what you should try to do.

First thing to try is to Uninstall thru Add/Remove programs any video Codecs you have. This includes Divx, or anything codec you resently installed. If you can't find the ones you recently installed, continue ->

1. Right click on My Computer -> Click Properties

2. Click Hardware Tab -> Click Device Manager Button

3. Expand the 'Sound, video and game controller' drop down

4. Double click 'Video Codecs'

5. Click Properties Tab

6. Remove or Disable the Video Codec (I'm not sure which ones, but it you see the codec you recently installed, I would disable it first, then possible remove it later).

Lastly, Download and install the Combined Community Codec Pack Combined Community Codec Pack

Hope this helps.

nice tip there but

Why would he need CCCP? he isnt trying to play MP4, or H.264 encoded files, he just wants AVI.

I suggest remove all codecs and DL Kopepi's Xvid Codec, for AVI/XviD/DivX
AC3 Filter for DD audio
and CoreAVC if you are watching HD content in containers such as .MKV

and no one please suggest KLiteMegaCodecPack
also CCCP is good but it is a resource hog and consumes way more resources than those three codecs i said,plus the codecs i said will let you watch videos without straining ur cpu

nice tip there but

Why would he need CCCP? he isnt trying to play MP4, or H.264 encoded files, he just wants AVI.

I suggest remove all codecs and DL Kopepi's Xvid Codec, for AVI/XviD/DivX
AC3 Filter for DD audio
and CoreAVC if you are watching HD content in containers such as .MKV

and no one please suggest KLiteMegaCodecPack
also CCCP is good but it is a resource hog and consumes way more resources than those three codecs i said,plus the codecs i said will let you watch videos without straining ur cpu

I just suggested the CCCP codecs cause they are what I have had the most success and stress free use with (they play anything I have thrown at it so far) so it would be rare that after installing them you would not be able to play a certain type of media.
I really haven't felt any strain on my PC when using them, but thats not to say it doesn't put more strain than other more specific codecs for certain applications you suggested.

I just suggested the CCCP codecs cause they are what I have had the most success and stress free use with (they play anything I have thrown at it so far) so it would be rare that after installing them you would not be able to play a certain type of media.
I really haven't felt any strain on my PC when using them, but thats not to say it doesn't put more strain than other more specific codecs for certain applications you suggested.

Wel CCCP is actually a collection of codecs Designed specifically for playback of Matroska files and other containers for HD Video and Audio hence the reason AC3 filter,Matroska Splitter,FFD Show,VOB Sub and MP4 support is included, im not saying it is a bad thing, but it does open all of the ocdecs of CCCP when you open a video even if you dont need the other unnecesary codecs running which is kinda bad fro older systems.

For example running a 720P HDDuD rip of Troy using CCCP on a P4 the movie skips at times and desyncs then has to adjust every so often, since all the codecs are running expecially FFDSHOW

using AC3 Filter+Core AVC, on the same setup it allows for playback of 720P and 1080P video without skipping.

But he is trying to play .AVI's so his problem may be the codec he installed which might have messed up XviD.AX, which is located in C:/Windows/System32

but that codec he installed may be what is messing up his system, sso he should uninstall all codecs and reinstall ONLY WHAT IS NECCESSARY

Thanks for the responses. I've looked at the video codecs under Device Manager but I didn't find anything out of place. Nero Showtime and WMP won't play ANY files now, but Divx player will.

I guess I will just have to do a reload on my XP.

Go to add/remove programs, don't use DivX player, use Koepis or Nics XviD codec, DivX bundle sux.

All you need is Core AVC,XviD, and AC3 Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom