Long Beeps at start up

Status
Not open for further replies.

freak67

Baseband Member
A while ago, my X850 died out on me, i boot up and all i got was long beeps. I just bought a 8800 GT, it came in today. I Boot up and i get 3 long beeps, then a normal one and the computer boots up. I let it boot up normally, and after it loads CMOS i get a black screen, a screen with just some random numbers, once i got a invalid boot.ini file error.

I have no clue whats going on. My RAM is ok, my brother was using for a few months and it ran flawlessly on his pc. The PSU is just about brand new, and never had a problem, and just about everything else is ok

The only thing that the errors point to are the HD, but I'm not sure. Anyone mind helping me out?

i got a picture of the boot.ini error if that will help someone figure out my problem.

BIOS Beep Codes

BIOS Beep Codes

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is a BIOS Beep Code?
When you power on a computer the BIOS immediately takes control of the computer and performs the P.O.S.T (Power On Self Test). At the end of the POST the computer will play an audible 'BEEP' through either the PC's internal speaker of through speakers attached to the sound card (if you have a built-in sound chip). If the POST completed successfully without detecting any problems with then system will play a single short beep to let you know the test is complete and the computer will continue to startup and load the operating system.
If during the POST the BIOS detects a problem it will normally display a visual error message on the monitor explaining what the problem is. However, if a problem is detected before the BIOS initializes the video card, or a video card is not present or not detected then the BIOS will play several 'BEEPS' through the speaker to let you know there is a problem. Depending on the type of the BIOS you have the BIOS may play beeps in a specific pattern to indicate what the problem is, or play the same beep a number of times indicating the problem. It is very important that you pay close attention to the number and/or pattern of the beeps your computer plays on startup.

Below is a table of the most common AMI, Phoenix and Award BIOS beep codes.

AMI (American Megatrends International) BIOS Beep Codes.
AMI BIOS uses beeps of the same length and pitch. The error is displayed as a number of beeps. For example, 4 beeps indicated a timer failure.
BEEP CODE MEANING POSSIBLE CAUSE
1 Beep (No video) Memory refresh failure Bad memory
2 Beeps Memory parity error Bad memory
3 Beeps Base 64K mem failure Bad memory
4 Beeps Timer not operational Bad motherboard
5 Beeps Processor error Bad processor
6 Beeps 8042 Gate A20 failure Bad CPU or Motherboard
7 Beeps Processor exception Bad processor
8 Beeps Video memory error Bad video card or memory
9 Beeps ROM checksum error Bad BIOS
10 Beeps CMOS checksum error Bad motherboard
11 Beeps Cache memory bad Bad CPU or motherboard

Award BIOS Beep Codes
Award BIOS uses beeps of varying duration. A long beep will typically last for 2 seconds while a short beep will last only 1 second. Award BIOS also uses beeps of different frequency to indicate critical errors. If an Award BIOS detects that the CPU is overheating it may play a high pitched repeating beep while the computer is running.
1 Long, 2 Short Video adapter failure Bad video adapter
Repeating (Endless loop) Memory error Bad memory or bad connection
1 Long, 3 Short Video adapter failure Bad video adapter or memory
High freq. beeps (while running) CPU is overheating CPU fan failure
Repeating High, Low beeps CPU failure Bad processor

Phoenix BIOS Beep Codes
Phoenix BIOS uses beep code patterns to indicate problems. In the table below the '-' indicates a brief pause between beeps.
Example: 1 - 1 - 2 would sound like BEEP <pause> BEEP <pause> BEEP BEEP

1 - 1 - 2 CPU / motherboard failure Bad CPU / motherboard
1 - 1 - 3 CMOS read/write failure Bad motherboard
1 - 1 - 4 BIOS ROM failure Bad BIOS chip
1 - 2 - 1 Timer failure Bad motherboard
1 - 2 - 2 DMA failure Bad motherboard
1 - 2 - 3 DMA failure Bad motherboard
1 - 3 - 1 Memory refresh failure Bad memory
1 - 3 - 2 64K memory failure Bad memory
1 - 3 - 3 64K memory failure Bad memory
1 - 3 - 4 64K memory failure Bad memory
1 - 4 - 1 Address line failure Bad memory
1 - 4 - 2 Parity error Bad memory
1 - 4 - 3 Timer failure Bad motherboard
1 - 4 - 4 NMI port failure Bad motherboard
2 - 1 - 1 64K memory failure Bad memory
2 - 1 - 2 64K memory failure Bad memory
2 - 1 - 3 64K memory failure Bad memory
2 - 1 - 4 64K memory failure Bad memory
2 - 2 - 1 64K memory failure Bad memory
2 - 2 - 2 64K memory failure Bad memory
2 - 2 - 3 64K memory failure Bad memory
2 - 2 - 4 64K memory failure Bad memory
2 - 3 - 1 64K memory failure Bad memory
2 - 3 - 2 64K memory failure Bad memory
2 - 3 - 3 64K memory failure Bad memory
2 - 3 - 4 64K memory failure Bad memory
2 - 4 - 1 64K memory failure Bad memory
2 - 4 - 2 64K memory failure Bad memory
2 - 4 - 4 64K memory failure Bad memory
2 - 4 - 4 64K memory failure Bad memory
3 - 1 - 1 Slave DMA failure Bad motherboard
3 - 1 - 2 Master DMA failure Bad motherboard
3 - 1 - 3 Interrupt controller failure Bad motherboard
3 - 1 -4 Slave IC failure Bad motherboard
3 - 2 -2 Interrupt Controller failure Bad motherboard
3 - 2 - 3 <RESERVED>
3 - 2 - 4 Keyboard control failure Bad motherboard
3 - 3 - 1 CMOS batter failure Bad CMOS battery
3 - 3 - 2 CMOS configuration error Incorrect setting
3 - 3 - 3 <RESERVED>
3 - 3 - 4 Video memory failure Bad video card or memory
3 - 4 - 1 Video init failure Bad video card or memory
4 - 2 - 1 Timer failure Bad motherboard
4 - 2 - 2 CMOS shutdown failure Bad motherboard
4 - 2 - 3 Gate A20 failure Bad motherboard
4 - 2 - 4 Unexpected interrupt Bad processor
4 - 3 - 1 RAM test failure Bad memory
4 - 3 - 3 Timer failure Bad motherboard
4 - 3 - 4 RTC failure Bad motherboard
4 - 4 - 1 Serial port failure Bad motherboard
4 - 4 - 2 Parallel port failure Bad motherboard
4 - 4 - 3 Coprocessor failure Bad motherboard or CPU.
9 - 2 - 1 Video adapter incompatibility Use a different brand of video card

Thx for the reply, i got rid of the beeps mostly, now im just having some trouble booting up. I tried two different windows Discs, both times it froze up when right when i pressed a key when it said to press any key to continue. Whenever i try to boot up normally, right after the windows xp load bar i get a BSOD, the only way that i can get to windows is through safe mode and i have no clue what to do if i get there. Anyone know anything that will help me fix this?

Edit: Nvm, i fiddled around with a few things and finally got the HD into windows installer, everythings going good so far, thx for all the feedback guys.

Yea, so far nothings going right, keep getting BSOD's and lock up during windows xp install, im clueless. tried a few different HD's, both got blue screens, tried reformatting and repartition must have been a good 20 times and I am about to throw the computer out the window. Anyone have any idea whats going on?

spec:
DFI Lanparty NF4 Ultra-D
AMD 4400+ X2 s939
Kingston HyperX 512x2
Evga 8800gt

HD's that i tried:
80 GB W.D. ( still has RMA from WD)
40 GB Seagate

just for kicks...
when in bios...have you set things to default? sometimes helps
easy tip for when installing windows to figure out where errors might occur is to turn off certain features you do not need or use in bios...and proceeding from there

make sure to get a bios update for your mobo if it's easy...mines and intel...no sweat bios updates...others can be nightmares or pains in the A...I don't use floppies and will not use one for bios updates etc

also, might be your ram, check it in another machine if you can

just for kicks...
when in bios...have you set things to default? sometimes helps
easy tip for when installing windows to figure out where errors might occur is to turn off certain features you do not need or use in bios...and proceeding from there

make sure to get a bios update for your mobo if it's easy...mines and intel...no sweat bios updates...others can be nightmares or pains in the A...I don't use floppies and will not use one for bios updates etc

also, might be your ram, check it in another machine if you can
gonna give that Default thing a try, i was skimming through BIOS and theres a built in Memtest for my dfi board, tried it and got like 50 errors(thank god for kingston lifetime warranty) , im gonna try to find a spare stick and use it to format.

edit: tried updating my BIOS, but its being a B**** at the moment, i could never figure out how to get the floppy drive updates working.

Figured it out guy, one of the sticks of kingston was faulty. Thx for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom