Status
Not open for further replies.

Shrimp

In Runtime
I have a monitor which has the following refresh rates:

1024x768 = 72hz
800x600 = 85hz
640x480 = 100hz

I have a TV connected by S-Video (so I have a PC CRT and a TV CRT in dual mode) and it seems to have locked my Primary and Secondary refresh rate to 60 with no option to make it any higher.

Is there a reason for this?

Also, on my games I can input a command line to run a refresh rate.

Does this mean that if I run 800x600 ingame resolution I can add the command line to run it at 85hz even though I have my desktop resolution as 1024x768?

Hope I explained that properly :)

i assume your TV is LCD, LCD's can only sustain 60Hz refresh rates and not higher than that, as there is no concept of REFRESH in LCDs. its CRT's native only. so, there is no way you can effect TV's resolution by inputting higher resolutions.

Eep I was afraid I didn't explain that properly.

My TV is CRT and my PC Monitor is CRT.

I have a sort of dual monitor setup. I use my PC Monitor for games and stuff and I only use my TV for films/dvds etc.

well ok, because TV's doesn't comes with Generic Drivers, therefore, your windows can only apply 60Hz of resolution assignment to your TV. which is least possible for any CRT, as if you accidentally apply higher refresh rates to your CRT, then it will burn the Tube. so, just accept what you are having. or get LCD TV, so you dont have to bother about refresh rates.

Ah ok :)

I guess I'll just unplug my TV when I'm playing games then, because 60hz strains my eyes a bit.

Do you know the answer to my second question? :)

well, in most cases, software cannot force drivers to adjust hardware settings. now if your system is showing that it can only accept 72Hz for 10x7 resolution, then its for a cause. forcing resolutions over that, will not cause your CRT tube to burn, BUT, it will shut down your monitor and then you have to go into safe mood to adjust, or quit the game to get into normal mood.

10x7 @ 72Hz must be stable to show the flicker on screen. if you are experiencing problems of flicker, then try updating the drivers of monitor and graphics card.

finally, yes you can make your game resolution to 85hz runing at 8x6, but i am still unsure, the game can force native windows resolution. so until you are in safe range, do whatever you want!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom