interesting conclusion to an AMD/intel comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: intersting conclusion to an AMD/intell comparison

This indicates that the Opteron 23xx is about 10% faster in integer tasks than the 22xx series. Considering that the best SPECint_rate2006 score of AMD's quad-core at 2.5GHz is 102 while Intel's 5460 (3.16GHz) is already at 138, we think it is safe to assume that the integer performance of AMD's Barcelona is still not up to Intel Core levels. The Xeon 5365 at 3GHz is also able to deliver a significantly higher score (117). This, together with our own benchmark data, makes us believe that the Xeon 54xx based on the Penryn architecture will beat the best AMD chips on every aspect of raw processing performance: integer, legacy x87 FP, and SIMD (SSE). It is clear now why Intel's CPUs are so dominant in desktop and workstation workloads.

Add to this a significant clock advantage: there is already a 3.2GHz Xeon 5485 (150W). If you prefer a less power hungry CPU, Intel can provide a 3GHz 5472 that is still clocked 20% higher than what AMD will be able to deliver 2 to 3 months later. Although the 3GHz models are quite pricey (>$1000), you can already find a 2.5GHz quad-core Xeon for $316. That's the same price as a 1.9GHz Opteron 2347 chip. There is little doubt in our mind that a 2.5GHz Xeon is faster in almost every application we can think off, so Intel's newest Xeon does have the price/performance crown as well.

It seems that Intel 45nm Xeon is doing a good job

i just read on dailytech that the TLB bug has infected the Barconlena, thus slowing the overall performance. Not very many or hardly at all r Barconlenas in stock for anyone to purchase until the TLB bug is resolved.

DailyTech - Understanding AMD's "TLB" Processor Bug

"The TLB erratum will be fixed in the B3 stepping of all AMD quad-core processors, including Phenom and Barcelona...."

the 9900 will be B3 stepping n we wont see B3 stepping processors until around 'March 2008'. So im saving my money for that one, while i get the x2 5000+ Brisbane instead for Christmas.

"AMD has since released a new BIOS patch for all K10 motherboards, including the often cited but rarely seen MSI K9A2 Platinum. This patch, confirmed by DailyTech, will result in at least a 10% reduction in general computing speed. "

The dailytech article says that the bug fix will decrease performance by 10%

hey maroon, if you cant keep from bashing on us, i would appreciate you starting your own thread. you can call it "i hate AMD" or whatever. knock yourself out.
i posted this article to show some advantages that the barcelona has over the xeon in server applications, not to say any chip is better than any other chip. here's my giant quotation:
but some HPC, Java and MySQL benchmarks show that the 2.5GHz Barcelona is able to keep up with (or come close to) a 3GHz Xeon 5472. That is impressive
. lol. i dont know how to make it tremendous-sized, but you get my point.
here's another one in case you missed it
Intel's flagship still has an Achilles heel: the platform it is running on has higher latency and much lower bandwidth than AMD's platform. Once you really stress all those cores with many threads, AMD's platform starts to pay off.
please dont start your typical **** on my thread. there are other users on this forum that are interested in developments from AMD. i didnt mention anything about intel vs AMD or "this is better" or "this is worse".
thanks.
p.s. the TLB bug is part of the reason the Phenoms wont clock as high as thought, and also part of the reason for the slow clock speeds on the phenoms that are availible. high clock typically = better overall performance.

meh meh meh. I want my nehalem, I WANT IT NOW.

ya.. same thing goes on on xtreme systems.. anyone even mentions the word amd.. someone has to come and mention intel this.. intel that

a-noy-ing.
i mean it would be different if i was like "OMFG lookit this barcelona pounds xeon" or something. lol.
meh.

"intersting conclusion to an AMD/intell comparison"

The thread title makes me think it would be perfectly fine to talk about Intel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom