Why the large price differences between the same cards(brand related i suppose?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joeyboy

Daemon Poster
Hey guys!

I'm not buying a new computer yet but sometimes i look to see how expensive components are.

Anyways i have been looking on a site: computer hardware, components, systems and peripherals at the lowest prices from IT supplier Aria Technology , a friend told me they are good and the prices seem basically the same as Overclockers UK, correct me if i'm wrong.

Anyway when i looked at the 8800gtx, there seemed to be a large price difference:

here are the links:

Ok this is the XFX 8800gtx, it is £335.99 including VAT

XFX GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB PCI-E - Aria Technology

Here is the Nvidia Geforce 8800gtx, it is £298.39 including VAT

Nvidia GeForce 8800GTX 768Mb PCI-E OEM - Aria Technology

here is the ASUS 8800GTX, it is £349.56 including VAT

Asus Extreme 8800GTX 768MB PCI - Aria Technology

and finally the EVGA 8800GTX, it is £ 404.49 including VAT

EVGA e-GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB PCI-E Black Pearl WaterCooled - Aria Technology

Ok so why the price differences? The Nvidia card is the cheapest by nearly £40..

now i think i understand the EVGA price difference. It says the card is water cooled or something.... do they mean it's good at being water cooled or what, or it actually has a little pipe system in it to water cool it??

But the ASUS and XFX cards, what makes them more expensive then nVidia's?

ALSO, if anyone in the UK has bought from Overclockers, their components are generally £30-£40 cheaper( say the 8800GT). Are their cards of worse quality then say ASUS or nvidia?

Most likely its the clock speeds. nVidia is the actual chip manufacturer thus have the lowest costs. The only real differences between the other cards is going to be the warranty they offer and possibly the cooling solution.

Also, buy an 8800 GT 512 instead, half the price 90% of the performance of the GTX.

^^

nah i just used that as an example.

I'm not buying until the summer so i'll inquire then about what the best components to buy are.

By the summer, the 9x00 series from nvidia should be out, woot. But yes, the evga costs more due to the water cooling setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom