Building a new computer...

Status
Not open for further replies.

iGarrett

Solid State Member
Alright, well I'm fed up with things going wrong (mechanically) with my Dell (that I only got a year ago!).
So I am going to build my own PC.
I've pretty much got what I want picked out on NewEgg since I was told NewEgg was a good place to shop, I picked out everything there.

https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersio...mber=9244047&WishListTitle=Garrett's+Build+#1

I really don't want to get 64bit Vista, because I heard it was even more **** for gamers than 32bit. But I am going with Vista because it is new, will get better, and have DX10.

So I am thinking I want 3 GB of ram... Will using 2 sets of dims, each set a different brand but same CAS and clock speed create problems?
Here are the 2 sets I've picked out to replace the 4 GB on my list above...
Newegg.com - G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail
Newegg.com - CORSAIR XMS2 1GB (2 x 512MB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

Lemme know what I should or shouldn't change and please give me some tips as this will be my first build.

(I know this is early, but I want to go ahead and get my facts before buying the parts, I plan to build it during the summer when I actually have time to sit down and build it, install the OS, update the BIOS, update the OS, install software, run it and watch to make sure nothing goes wrong)

Thanks!
--Garrett

1: case--->> good choice
2: mobo--->> seems good, are you gaming with it? if so, or if ocing, get aftermarket cooling
3: video--->> umm, two things. medium card, nearly same price get the 8800 gt. plus, that will be very cheap by summer. one area that you will need to continually watch
4: psu--->> good
5. cpu--->> still good, though by summer you may have different choice
6: ram--->> good choice, but popular recommendations are crucial ballistix here at TF
7: hdd--->> good choice, especially since summer will see the price drop a bit :)
8:>>>>>
------>>>>>> just going cheap for now on keyboard and mouse?
9:>>>>>
10-14 are good, though I suspect mostly your choice. saw the scythe s-flex.... that's a great fan. overall, nice build

1: case--->> good choice
2: mobo--->> seems good, are you gaming with it? if so, or if ocing, get aftermarket cooling
3: video--->> umm, two things. medium card, nearly same price get the 8800 gt. plus, that will be very cheap by summer. one area that you will need to continually watch
4: psu--->> good
5. cpu--->> still good, though by summer you may have different choice
6: ram--->> good choice, but popular recommendations are crucial ballistix here at tech forums
7: hdd--->> good choice, especially since summer will see the price drop a bit :)
8:>>>>>
------>>>>>> just going cheap for now on keyboard and mouse?
9:>>>>>
10-14 are good, though I suspect mostly your choice. saw the scythe s-flex.... that's a great fan. overall, nice build

Thanks for your input! Yea, I cant seem to find an 8800GT ANYWHERE! I was told I should go with GT, but I can't find it :(

I do plan on looking at an aftermarket cpu fan (possibly Thermaltake or Zalman) although I don't plan on OCing, just hard core gaming, physics engine work, and video editing.

Should I go with those 2 sets of RAM (adding to 3GB) instead of the ones on the list? That way I can use Vista 32...

Also, yes I plan on buying the parts after my graduation, summer 08

2 GB runs Vista just fine, 3 will help it run more smoothly. just read a post that Vista will pool all resources, kinda like photoshop. by summer, the 8800GT will definately be in stock, there's just alot of demand on it right now, and there aren't alot out there. also, nVidia is releasing a new chipset (the g92 or something like that) that will make the standard GT to have more physical product, and you will have a better shot at getting it. glad I could help

Will it affect performance if I have 2 different brands of RAM? Or will it work fine if they have the same clock speed and latency?

Thanks, I wouldn't have thought about looking at Dell.. Normally I don't find anything I would want there...
Thanks!
(still need to know if using 2 different brands for RAM [2-1GB one brand 2-512MB from another brand] with the same latency and clock speed will work correctly. )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom