Pentium D 945 Ocing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Da Viksta

Ninja Stargate Addict
Hello

My first post here.....

Does anyone know how i can get more out of my pentium D?

Ive increased it to 3.71Ghz (217*17) and if i take it to 220FSB, it becomes unstable. Any attempts to take it to 225 have resulted in my pc simply not POSTing, forcing me to reset the CMOS

I have been running on stock volts, and am somewhat apprehensious about increasing the voltage...ive heard horror stories about overvolting (not from Vaanish though :p ) and im unsure how to get more out of it.....

My system specs are as belows.

Btw, my motherboard doesnt support C2D even though it is i945p...

It seems like you would have to raise the voltage big time to pust further, if you can at all. You wouldnt really notice the diferent running at like 4GHz, so just leave it like it is.

I would reccomend a new build seeing as though your GTS is being bottlenecked somewhat.

welp considering the bottle neck i had from fx62 w/ a 2900pro.. changing cpu to a q6600 made a big difference... so i would think that a pendium d would be a pretty nicely sized bottleneck!

hmmmmmm

what kind of voltages would a pentium D be happy with?

also, would i need to up the RAM volts a little to keep it going, becuase the FSB-DRAM ratio is locked, so i cant change it :(

Well to be honest your Pentium D probably isn't getting much higher (depending on what cooler you have) before you've reached the temperature threshold, because they have been known to run blisteringly hot. I noticed you GTS is not overclocked. You might receive more of a boost from OC'ing that instead.

Well, I thought about that, but the GTS really isnt a bottleneck at this point, if i OC that, i can probably get a little out but not more than a couple of frames,and i run the risk of dmaging it, soi'd rather overclock the cpu. Using a program called Nextsensor, i have tuned my fan to maintain a temp of under 50 deg Celcius, and is normally about 45C on idle, so tbh i dont think i am anywhere near the thermal limit just yet :D

Oh okay nice job getting the temps down then. But regardless, it's even safer and easier to overclock a video card than a CPU. All you gotta do is move a couple slider controls up by about 5% at a time and test it out, worst that can happen is you OC too much causing your comp to freeze at whcih point you would simply restart and dial dial it back a little. With CPU's you have to adjust the multiplier and the fsb and voltages and that can get really tricky. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain by OC'ing your GTS first. Just my .02.

Cheers, ill try that. i suppose the only thing holding me back is the invalidation of my warranty....

anyhow, i still have no idea how i managed that, since my pc still has stock HSF...and a huge mess that are my psu wires :p

urm....what kind of speeds can i oc a gts too without any(or rather, much) risk to the card or risk killing its fan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom