Error Message: "The file vga.sys could not be found"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sevenor

In Runtime
Hi, can anybody pls help me.
I tried to install Windows XP Pro SP2 but received an error message "The file vga.sys could not be found", does anyone know what it means? And how to resolve this problem. Thanks!

Either this file is corrupted, didnt copy over to the cd, cd dirty/scratched or the cd drive dirty

Thanks Osiris for your reply.

As the Windows XP CD is still in mint condition, I believe the problem could be with the CD-Rom player cos it makes some coarse noise whenever it tries to read the CD. But when I swapped it with another good one that I have, a different error message appeared saying: "NTLDR is missing. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart". Restarting it just causing it to go on a continuous loop.

The thing is, when I switched back to the old CD-Rom player, the error message "NTLDR is missing. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart" does not appear. Instead, I was able to boot from CD to install the Windows XP. But other error messages such as "The file vga.sys could not be found" or something about corrupt files will appear.

Any help or suggestion appreciated.

Alright the reason you get NTLDR is missing cause you changed your hardwaer configuration. Switching out the CD ROM drives changed your config from the one you installed Windows with. That error can be fixed easily. But you need to copy that file from windows to a Flash drive or CD or something. Or visit this site:

Troubleshooting Windows XP - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki

Download a copy of it and paste it to your boot drive. Can use a LiveCD to do that.

As for the VGA you are encountering that file needs to be replaced still. But since it seems your CD ROM drive is going that wont happen. What corrupt files does it say it is missing?

Your best option might be to put n the other CD ROM drive and doa repair install.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom