• Dont want to remember about it!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Toshiro

In Runtime
For educational purposes only.
NOTE: This went in Hardware because the problems are all directly related to hardware. As far as I know, Compaq never did much in the area of software or anything.

I recently discovered the many downs of Compaq computers. Not necessarily HP comps, but the ones before HP took Compaq over (don't know if HP is any different from Compaq or not). Most of you gurus already know this, but for other people who don't or people who can't remember, I've listed the 5 biggest disadvantages of Compaqs:

1) Big One.... BIOS are stored on the primary hard drive in a special partition. If you swap hard drives or some how delete this, you'll be in trouble. I'm not aware of any other x86 type PCs that do this, and honestly I don't see the logic behind it.

2) Inferior case designs! Usually cramped, and not good for ventilation, with little room for upgrading (if any). Some companies, like eMachines, actually provide you with cases and motherboards that allow for upgrading! And room to work with. I can barely fit my hand in the case I have (provided that all hardware is connected).

3) Conflicting hardware. They usually use hardware that limits the actual abilities of other hardwares. I don't know the logic of this, either, but as far as I know, they do this.

4) Non-standard hardware. Independent of the confliction problems, they have hardware that doesn't always work with generic drivers. My Presario 1410 monitor and the onboard video dropped down to 16 colors and lost the option to go higher after a formatting and reinstallation of Windows (only other option is 2 colors). Haven't found drivers yet. The network card wont work either, now. Gotta look for drivers.

5) Aforementioned BIOS are unhelpful and difficult to use. The BIOS with this Presario 5020 I have.... don't have Boot Order options.

Correct me if anything is factually wrong.

Now I'm sure there's got to be people out there who dissagree. That's fine. And I'm sure there's people out here that already know all this, or know even more.

I'm curious as to the forum's general opinion of Compaq computers. Feel free to let your aggressions or opinions free :b

I believe HP owns Compaq now; IMO they're both not very good

they put in cheap, unreliable hardware, and brands often change within the same model
example: if you bought one today it might have x brand HDD, but a month later if you bought it, the HDD brand would be different

Yeah, the hardware is very unreliable. On this Presario 5020 I've got, the floppy drive doesn't work anymore. The CD-ROM drive rarely reads CDs (it's not dirty, it's been cleaned). The hard drive makes a really weird crackling noise (kinda like when older floppy drives write to the disk and make loud noises), and I'm sure it's going to go out soon. I had to swap out the CD-ROM and floppy drives, and I might as well go out and buy a new case, hard drive and motherboard, swap the cables and stuff, and I'll be set with a new (but crappy) computer.

they "recommend" getting a video card with dvi-out, and then sell ANALOG lcd monitors!

and the hp/compaq 17" ANALOG monitor is more expensive than a samsung 12ms 17" DIGITAL

Every one hates hp 's and stuff, and so do i. i got one and they seem to malfunction. My video card was failing when i first got my pc and the only thing the tech support said was to reformat it. i was told to do this like 8 times until the sent an engineer, this took them about 6 months to do! Learn from your mistakes people. Build your own pc or buy somthing custom built for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom