new 8800gt, what haven't I done?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

IGeMex

Baseband Member
Ok so I bought a new XFX 8800gt 512mb, installed it at the same time as a new 250gb sata drive. I installed the driver disk that came with the card, then remembered I hadn't uninstalled the old ati drivers. So I check if it's installed, cos obviously you can't see it's installed by looking at the desktop, I always check right click on desktop, properties, settings, screen resolution. And as you all know, with onboard graphics you get like 2 or 3 choices, which is what I have right now, 3. Whereas when a card is installed you get closer to 10. So unsure, I go to play hl2-ep2, to see if it works, and it does, so it's working the card, but it didn't have any more fps than my old x850xt, and a lot of items in game appeared to be flashing, like color to white quickly. Things like bits of broken wood on the ground, certain parts of the car, certain parts of buildings, and the draw distance was low dispite upping anisotropic to max. SOMETHING, isn't right, but I don't know what. Do you? Thanks alot for your time.
edit: oh and I downloaded LATEST drivers, and the main thing that i'm bothered about not working is proper display (the lack of resolution choices).

did you ever un install the ati drivers?
if not, i can almost assure you that is the problem.
i would uninstall the ati drivers and do a cleaning or two.
then, i would uninstall the new nvidia drivers and clean again.
then, re-install the nvidia drivers.

Have you rebooted with the monitor plugged into the card since updating the drivers? It almost sounds like you might need to update the actual monitor as it doesnt know what settings the monitor has available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom