upgrading ram

Status
Not open for further replies.

krap928

Beta member
hey,
I bought a dual channel 2 x 1gb rams.
One of them is defective so i only use 1gb ram at the moment.
I bought another set of dual channel 2 x 1gb rams which are
different brands from the ones i bought previously.
Is it ok for me to have 3gb ram instead of 4? Would there be problems
that will occur from having 3gb ram?

It's fine but 1 set won't be running in dual channel, meaning you lose a small amount of performance.

Also if you bought defective ram you should return or RMA it.

so my system will say that I have 3gb of ram but the performance will not be
"really" 3gb ram and it will be a little less?

No, you'll have 3gb of ram and it will be quick. It's just that it would be around 5% faster if everything was running in dual channel. Which is not something you would be likely to notice. It's just that it's not running at full potential..

Actually i forget which place did the testing, i think tom's, but the performance impact of running single and dual channel was very minimal. Under 5% which is within the margin of error, so you wont notice it, especially when you are getting the benefit of 3gb instead of 1gb.

hmm... so you mean that either way i will be benefited by having 3gb of ram instead of 1gb but i wont really see a difference with the dual channel ability?

Correct. There is a very small performance hit when running in single channel mode...and there's a large performance gain when going from 1-3gb.

The good outweighs the bad by far. However, you should be able to RMA your ram if it was sold faulty!

thanks so much.
i build my own computer with little knowledge on how everything works
and i heard about 8 years ago from my uncle who said that if i inserted
a 64mb ram and a 128mb ram together, the 64mb ram wouldnt count or somthing like that... so i was just curious if that was true or what not.
Thanks a lot =)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom