x38 vs. 780i

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vip3r

Solid State Member
Which chip set is worth getting. Will the 780i chip set have the same features and specs as the x38. So far I impressed with the x38 chip set, as it supports both ddr2 and ddr3 on the motherboards and have 1600 fsb speeds. Also they support the 45nm cpus and include pcie 2.0. Now I am wondering if the 780i boards support the same features. Also price will be in the $300 dollar range or in the $200 dollar range? The only reason I want to get the 780i boards is because of I want to sli a pair of 8800GT. Should I wait for the 780i boards or should I just get the Asus P5E I've been looking at.

780i will be on an nvdia chipset and support SLI (2 nvidia cards) while x38 and x48 will be intel chipsets supporting crossfire (2 ATI cards). If things stay the same as last time around, the 780i board will probably be more expensive than the x38 boards, so dont expect to pick one under 200. Closer to 300-350 when they launch would be my guess, seeing as the 680i boards are still 200+.

And in theory the cards are cheaper. Although right now, getting either one of the cards is a pita.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom