stange clicking, cant turn machine on or off

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabinep

Beta member
Please help, my daughters pc is making a strange noise a clicking noise, the computer will not turn on or off, just stay in the clicking noise stage. you have to disconnect at the mains. it was fine a few days ago. I have had a bsd before and had to reinstall everything. any ideas? no booting up at all.

How old is this pc. the "click of death" commonly refers to a failing hard drive. If you are already at the point of no booting you may be sol as far as retrieving your data. Google the freezer trick if you need to pull data of the hdd.

I would open the cover and put your hand on the hdd to confirm the noise is comin from there before assuming that's what it is.

I have just disconnected the hdd from the powerunit and its still clicking when you turn the machine on, it almost sounds as if the noise is coming from the powersupply. any ideas?

It could be something shorting or maybe a stuck fan.

The fact that it doesn't turn on is a good sign that the power supply is bad. Try a different power supply.

Power supply is the culprit no doubt about it. Fairly easy and inexpensive to replace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom