Q6600 OC ? How to make it more stable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I looked in the manual, but it only shows the voltage options, not what the voltages are at stock settings. Manufacture site online is the same manual.

I am wondering if this PC Probe II by ASUS which came with this board actually shows the stock settings. It shows the nominal value settings in the configure screen, and then shows the actual settings and % difference of nominal on the monitor screen. It also warns you if you raise the voltage above a predetermined percentage. I will play with it and see what happens. I still don't get why I set the V Core at 1.35v, but it is running at 1.28v. I think that is the main reason I can not get it to run 400x9. It is running 350x9 atm, and I have had it start and run at 375x9, but not real stable, and at 360x9 is when it crashed after folding for 12 hours. I guess this is one of those try it and learn, and then try again things. I do appreciate your help. I learn something new every time some one speaks on this forum.

Return the Vcore to Defualt and Try 3.2 Ghz and or 3.4 Ghz.

Im sorry, but I told you wrong. You should only up the Vcore when you have to. So if it does not boot at either 3.2 or 3.4 Up the Vcore by one notch every time it fails to boot or fails stress testing.

I have a Q6600 and I've been having stability issues when overclocking. Can giving a processor too much voltage cause stability issues?

When asking questions about q6600 overclocking, please tell us if its a b3 stepping or g0 stepping. This makes a HUGE difference in the amount of voltage required to get to certain speeds.

Right now I am running @ 3.25 GHz like before (361x9). So far so good, and I am folding with all four cores @ 100%. I think maybe the reason it was a little unstable before was I had the ram @ 1066 which may have caused it, who knows. I also have the cpu V @ 1.35, but it shows it is running @ 1.28-1.29v. CPU temp steady at 58c, NB 49c,SB 42c,MB 33c. Think I will Lap the cooler this weekend and see what happens on the temps.
I ran it @ 3.16GHz all night and all day folding @ 100% (about 22 hours) and no problems.

Interesting Note:

My Q6600 was not stable at 333x9 @ 1.38~1.41 volts and higher. I messed around with the voltages and at 1.35 it's perfectly stable...

Is there any explanation as to why it was unstable under higher voltages? I skipped directly to those higher voltages under recommendations from another member and had nothing but headaches.

Well, running at 3.2GHZ (350x9)for the last 24 hours @ 1.3v on the cpu and folding the whole time at 100%, no problems. IF i go higher, seems to crash. Tried 375x9 and would crash after a few hours. Seems my CPU voltage drops quite a bit. It is set at 1.365v, but runs 1.28-1.29v. Maybe this weekend I will try and raise it a bit more to see if I can get it stable at 375x9 or 400x9. Need to try and do a Lap on the cooler first tho.

Oh, for the love of someone's god IGNORE SOFTWARE VOLTAGE READINGS.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The only thing that is important is WHAT you MANUALLY SET in the CMOS.
Only up the Vcore when its unstable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom