Microsoft Says IE More Secure Than Firefox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
Microsoft Says IE More Secure Than Firefox

Jeff Jones, Security Strategy Director of Microsoft's Trustworthy Computing Group, says that IE is more secure than Firefox. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to realize those are fightin' words right there! Secure your Nomex clothing and other fire retardant gear because I'm predicting a flame war in 3…2…1.

Jones explains in his report Browser Vulnerability Analysis (PDF), that Mozilla has fixed 199 security vulnerabilities since November 2004, when Firefox first appeared, of which 75 were critical, 100 medium and 24 of low importance. Over the same period, a total of 87 security vulnerabilities were fixed in Internet Explorer, of which 54 were critical, 28 medium and 5 of low importance.

they said that when firefox first came out. we know how ms tell the truth.

go to myspace.com and watch how many virus you get in ie. you won't get any in ff

The only thing i can say is that it is Bull. But they do have a point recently with the recent releases of Firefox. There was 3 releases compared to the amount of updates for IE.

Granted IE is only patched the 2nd Tuesday of every month. It is still bull.

Not only do I doubt that IE really is more secure than Firefox, but I also love Firefox more for it's customization. Some of those extentions kick ***.

I fix a millions computer that people have that are virus infected. they all use IE. people who use FF as a default browser will get at worse 1 to 2 viruses

"Security Strategy Director"

Is that the strategy where they lie to the world to inflate their public image in the face of new and better technologies?

"since November 2004, when Firefox first appeared"
Did they bother to mention how this compares to the time when IE first appeared? Did they bother to mention that it takes sometimes months for IE vulnerabilities to be fixed once they're demonstrated and exploited, and that some still have not been fixed, whereas Mozilla usually has them fixed within a few days?
No? I thought not...

When you try to compare the number of problems something has, you don't compare the number of problems already fixed - you compare the number of problems that have yet to be fixed... and in that vein, IE has a lot more problems.

By the way, having worked in virus repair and removal... the company I worked for didn't like us showing people firefox or installing it for them, because it hurt business. People who use firefox don't come back in with more viruses to be removed!

oh wow, I just RTFA'd, and all I can say is wow...

Can you believe the audacity of this man?

FTFA: "He notes that security updates are currently only being released for version 2.0 of Firefox. If Mozilla's policy of providing support for earlier versions for just six months following the release of a successor version were to be applied by Microsoft, support for Internet Explorer 6 would have been stopped in May 2007"

Maybe this is acceptable for Mozilla, because Mozilla never BLOCKED a big chunk of firefox users from upgrading to 2.0. There's no need to support 1.x when 2.0 is freely available, and, technically, offered as the support to 1.x. Microsoft, on the other hand, refuses to let anyone without XP SP2 and WGA or Vista install IE7. That's disgusting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom