CRT Monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaos24783

Solid State Member
Hey,

I made a post awhile back concerning upgrading my PC and I'm still shopping around. I didn't consider getting a new monitor but I came across a couple of articles refering to response times for LCDs. I was curious to see what my crap monitor was doing in that regard and I found out the my 15'' (I know) Sony 1704fpvt is only doing 30 ms in response time. After a little more research, I learned that this is a very bad response time.

I'm building this new PC for gaming and I'm a little dissapointed that I now have to somehow eek a new monitor into my already tight budget. Iv'e read that CRT monitors are prefered over LCD so I'm looking for a decent one.

Summary of issue:

1. Should I get a new monitor with my 30 ms LCD?
2. What CRT Monitor do you reccomend below $225? (Hopefully much less)

Appreciate the help.

Thanks for the links. I'll consider some of those. As for my budget, its still up in the air; but I'm positive it will be pretty tight. Do you think I really need a new monitor if I don't notice the response time? I haven't seen it in the games I play now with my crap video card.

I actually think that the image quality of CRTs is better. Sure, LCD's are flat and use low power, but I really like the way CRT's blend pixels together to make smooth images (as opposed to the hard pixel edges found on most LCD's, other than the really high-resolution ones like my laptop's 1600x1200 screen). I also hate how LCD's tend to have problems with black, while CRT's are pretty good about contrast. LCD's will show gray instead of black because they use a backlight, but CRT's will show deeper blacks because they produce light at the pixel itself, as the beam scans over each pixel.

So, for power saving and general purpose (because of the size), LCD is the winner, but if you really want the best picture, I'd say go with CRT.

Oh, and if you use CRT, remember not to leave the same images on for long periods of time! CRT's burn in, LCD's can also have persistant images, but they may be fixable.

EDIT: If you don't notice the poor response time, then why would you even need a new monitor? Only get a new one if you really notice the problem with your current one. As long as you are satisfied with the experience your current monitor provides, there's no reason to switch...I'm using the same old 17" Compaq CRT from way back when on my basement PC, no problems.

I actually think that the image quality of CRTs is better. Sure, LCD's are flat and use low power, but I really like the way CRT's blend pixels together to make smooth images (as opposed to the hard pixel edges found on most LCD's, other than the really high-resolution ones like my laptop's 1600x1200 screen). I also hate how LCD's tend to have problems with black, while CRT's are pretty good about contrast. LCD's will show gray instead of black because they use a backlight, but CRT's will show deeper blacks because they produce light at the pixel itself, as the beam scans over each pixel.

So, for power saving and general purpose (because of the size), LCD is the winner, but if you really want the best picture, I'd say go with CRT.

Oh, and if you use CRT, remember not to leave the same images on for long periods of time! CRT's burn in, LCD's can also have persistant images, but they may be fixable.

EDIT: If you don't notice the poor response time, then why would you even need a new monitor? Only get a new one if you really notice the problem with your current one. As long as you are satisfied with the experience your current monitor provides, there's no reason to switch...I'm using the same old 17" Compaq CRT from way back when on my basement PC, no problems.

Thanks for the good info. The reason I wanted a new one was because right now I'm getting some slow down on my games. This is to be expected considering how God awful my current rig is. But when I upgrade, I'm concerned that I'll get great performance with the stuttering that I don't notice now. I haven't noticed this in the games that run perfect on my rig, like Star Wars Empire at War and Warcraft III, which confuses me further. If I were a video and graphics fanatic, should I notice this "ghosting" on my current rig? Am I not noticing this in game because my rig is bad or because I just don't have the "eye" for it?

seeing as how most monitors recommended for gaming have a response time of under 5ms you might notice some ghosting, but unless you're like a "pro gamer" then I personally don't think it will matter to much and you'll be able to game fine, and when you get the money you can upgrade to a really nice monitor rather then having to get cheaper parts to put in a so-so monitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom