The 'Perfect' Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taylor022794

Beta member
I recently have been 'sorting out' my computer, and trying to make it run faster. Then, I came across the idea - which free programs would be the best for your computer? So, I would really like it if anyone out there would compile a list of programs that I should use for my computer. Here are my specs:

Windows XP Home Edition (SP2)
40 Gigs of Mem. - 512mb of RAM

Programs I use and run: (They are all freeware)

Avira AntiVir PE Classic
Ad-Aware 2007
Spybot: Search & Destroy
McAfee Security Center (Not Freeware)

I would like every program to be free.

So, if you need any other specs on my comp, just ask. I would really like a response. Thanks for your time.

Now for the freeware, I have found this post from another forum with a Mega list of proggys to use. Check it out : Who needs to pirate software with a list like this? - 121Space

I like how you phrase that more like it is an after-thought to the actual topic of this thread.

Here are some additional ones that I use personally:
AVG Anti-Virus (my favorite free anti-virus, though I personally use NOD32)
Spyware Blaster (run it once and it will prevent future spyware)
CCleaner (full cache and temp file clean)

Pidgin (absolute favorite multi-client messenger)

Open Office (perfectly fine alternative to MS Office)

TrueCrypt (create encrypted virtual drives, or entire partitions)

The Gimp (*Huge* improvement over MS Paint, though still pales in comparison to Photoshop)

Firefox (best and safest web browser, frequently updated, with tons of customizable options)

UXTheme Multi-Patcher (allows for Windows themes that aren't digitally signed by microsoft, without the need for 3rd-party bloatware running in the background)

XMPlay (alternative to Windows Media Player for music... I never could get used to the Windows Media Player)

The Core Media Player (alternative to Windows Media Player (for my videos)... I never could get used to the Windows Media Player)

Azureus (second best bittorrent client, IMO. only uTorrent is better, but being owned by the MPAA makes me not want to use that one)

These are just some of the ones I use *every day*. I love them all... and haven't bought a program in years. Developers like you and me develop excellent PC software, and I must say I am looking forward to Google's Android firmware for mobile phones.

Thanks both of you. I really appreciate it. Also, yeah I know, 40 gigs of harddrive space. My bad. Also, when I said 'perfect', it was... not literal. I know there will always be a bug or glitch, just letting you know. Anyways, Thanks for the information, I'll be sure to come back here. Later!

Avira AntiVir PE Classic
Ad-Aware 2007
Spybot: Search & Destroy
McAfee Security Center (Not Freeware)
I use Antivir, but that's all. I don't use anti-spyware programs. I just use firefox, and refuse to install any programs with spyware.

On the rare occasion that I actually do get spyware, it usually lasts less than about 5 minutes. I manually delete it and/or use Hijackthis.
CCleaner (full cache and temp file clean)
occasionally I'll use this.
The best way of cleaning up junk, is to format and reinstall.
That's why I have one hard drive specifically dedicated to Windows, and installed programs.

Open Office (perfectly fine alternative to MS Office)
Yes, does fine.

The Gimp (*Huge* improvement over MS Paint, though still pales in comparison to Photoshop)
great program.
I don't agree that it pales in comparision to photoshop. It's all about how you use it.
Photoshop, is a complete rip-off, and I'll refuse to pay the thousands of dollars that adobe wants for it.

Firefox (best and safest web browser, frequently updated, with tons of customizable options)
have been using it since pre-version 1

UXTheme Multi-Patcher (allows for Windows themes that aren't digitally signed by microsoft, without the need for 3rd-party bloatware running in the background)
Doesn't work on SP3 yet AFAIK, so I just use a patched .dll and replace it myself.

XMPlay (alternative to Windows Media Player for music... I never could get used to the Windows Media Player)
Lowest resource player I've ever used!

I use Antivir, but that's all. I don't use anti-spyware programs. I just use firefox, and refuse to install any programs with spyware.

On the rare occasion that I actually do get spyware, it usually lasts less than about 5 minutes. I manually delete it and/or use Hijackthis.
occasionally I'll use this.
The best way of cleaning up junk, is to format and reinstall.
That's why I have one hard drive specifically dedicated to Windows, and installed programs.

Yes, does fine.

great program.
I don't agree that it pales in comparision to photoshop. It's all about how you use it.
Photoshop, is a complete rip-off, and I'll refuse to pay the thousands of dollars that adobe wants for it.

have been using it since pre-version 1

Doesn't work on SP3 yet AFAIK, so I just use a patched .dll and replace it myself.

Lowest resource player I've ever used!

how do you like SP3 apok....im thinking of DLing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom