Just lapped

Status
Not open for further replies.

veedubfreak

Golden Master
Ok so i got bored. Yanked out the TRUE and the q6600 and a framed picture off the wall. Taped the sand paper down, and started sanding. Only used 400grit, didnt go for mirror finish, just wanted to get rid of the nickel plating and get it flatter. I seem to have gotten cores 1 2 3 closer in temps, but core 0 still wants to run close to 10C hotter than everything else. According to my razor blade everything is flat, but i think i might have to penny mod my TRUE because i dont think its pressing down on the CPU hard enough. Current temps at 3.6ghz are 27/19/20/24 with room temp at 65F. Temps did seem to come down across the board though by a few degrees. Will report back once the as5 has time to set up again.

Re: Just lapped (your mom) just kidding

Those temps aren't possible on air cooling (or watercooling even) with a 65f ambient (18c). Which program is giving you that reading?

Re: Just lapped (your mom) just kidding

Those temps aren't possible on air cooling (or watercooling even) with a 65f ambient (18c). Which program is giving you that reading?

I don't know, I might believe it. I'm non-lapped and no penny mod and right now my Q6600 is idling at 36/31/34/35. He is seeing a 5-10 degree drop which is what lapping tends to do. Most say 5 degress, but the TRUE is an awesome cooler and we both have g0 stepping Q6600's which run amazingly cool to begin with. Oh and my room temperature is 73.6 Fahrenheit right now.

Theres no way one of your cores is at 63 degree fahrenheit 19C when ambient is 20C or 65F

If simply defies the laws of physics. You have a bad temp sensor.

This is all completely possible, im just going by what coretemp tells me, which has been accurate up until this point. I was pretty hungover yesterday and didnt even bother to boot the machine up again to play with it anymore. My main reasoning for lapping wasnt so much to bring temps down as much as just get all 4 cores closer to the same temps.

Also, the penny mod is just where you stick a penny/dime/something else in between the heatsink and the mounting bracket so that you can get better pressure on the cpu. The mounting for the TRUE is sometimes looser than needed. I have all 4 screws maxxed out and it still has the ability to move around, so its not applying the proper amount of pressure.

coretemp is pretty accurate its normally 1-2 degrees out max tbh :p

The thermometer in my apt is also right next to the fan on my tv so its also possible that it was colder at my computer than where the clock/thermometer is. I'll mess around with it at lunch some more and see what kind of temps im getting now. I'll also check bios just to be sure.

For a 19c idle temp on a quad core on air it would have to be like 10-12c at least ambient...unless you have a delta fan on it or something :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom