Building new PC, Need some advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magooly

Baseband Member
Hey all, Let me start off buy saying I'm not really a PC geek, But I always wanted to be able to build my own PC / Upgrade it as I go. Instead of having to buy a brand new crap PC from bestbuy.

I think I have a start of what I want, I have around a 1,500 / 2000 budget, I really don't know if SLI is what I want, but I want to be able to play Call of duty 4. Also some of the newer games that come out no problem. I really don't care about hard drive space, I really don't do video editing or anything that takes a lot of space. So you guys think SLI is the way to go for gaming atm? So far I have..

For CPU - Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor - Retail

I Was thinking one of the zalman fans, but really wasn't sure which one.

For Mobo - I'm really not sure, I'm not really to sure how to OC, so what you guys think?

For memory - I was thinking about going with vista 64 BIT, So 4 gigs of Newegg.com - Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

Video card - I'm still not sure if SLI is what I want, But I was thinking 2 8800 GT. Or 8800gts 640mg.

PSU - Really don't know anything about them, Something that could support SLI and good for gaming that I can keep for awhile.

hard drive - Same thing here, Are differnt hard drives better than others? I was just going to get reg one.

DvD drive - Just any pretty much.

Case - I was thinking Cooler master stacker 330 black case.

For sound card, Just a decent one I plan to get new speakers, so one that makes it sound good ^.^

I don't need a netword card, I'll just use the one that's on the mobo.

Also about building a PC, So everyone has to start somewhere, so I just wanted to ask some newbie things. If I was to build this, Is there anything crazy I need to adjust like memory timing? Or something else I don't know? I really don't know how to OC, So stock settings would work for the time being.

If you have any other info you think would help, Please post.

Thanks for reading. =P

for mobo:
Abit ip35

for video card:
one 8800gt will do great, its better than GTS 640mb

for psu: corsair 520hx, will last you a long time

HDD: if by "plain" you mean 7200rpm then yes get that, seagates are great, get one corresponding to the space you need

Case: never heard of that one?
RC-690 is $30 after MIR at ZipZoomFly

Sound: Creative Soundblaster Audigy SE
or if your a serious gamer get
Creative X-fi XtremeGamer

there is an overclock guide somewhere....

Alright thanks, I'm looking at the stuff on newegg.com, What's the diff between 64 bit vs 32 bit? I know that it allows you to run 4gigs, That it?

On the video card, You think SLI would be the better way to go? Will 520hx PSU support 2 8800 GT's?

Thanks again post

64-bit is also slightly slightly faster
32-bit is compatible with a couple more things, not much tho

there isn't much of a difference, but i have never run 32-bit

me personally i would go with

P5K Deluxe (waits for flaming)

good choice of ram and processor

TT-120 Extreme with 120mm fan and MX-2

any harddrive

8800GT or if you can hold get the new 8800GTS REv 2.

Corsair 520HX or Pc power and cooling610.

If you go form newegg get the PC Power and cooling because its 10 dollars cheaper and thier is no rebates ;)

You think the The corsair 520 will run 2 8800 GT's no problem? I think I'm going with SLI.

lol the p5k is fine cuz he has a 2000 budget
and add another fan to TRUE
and "any hardrive" deadpixel?
i think not
seagate 7200.10 and 7200.11 and ES series are top notch
where as maxtor is crap

I've had really bad luck with ASUS, Any others? I gusse I could give it another shot.. but = (

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom