Desktop bigger than monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

straightv6

Not A Super Techie
I just had a new video card and monitor installed. The native resolution of the monitor is 1680x1050 so I set the video card to 1680x1050. My problem is that not everything shows up on the monitor. I can slide the screen with my mouse back and forth, which causes whatever is on my screen to disappear and reappear. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Have you restarted at all since updating drivers and settings? Have you installed any Monitor Software that is available if it si available?

Have you tried to go to the Monitors website to see if they have any software to install?

Other than that i dont know off hand. Try a smaller resolution?

i see by your sig that you use xubuntu...is this the case? if so you probably need to reconfigure your xserver you can use the code "sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg"

If he posted in the Windows forum, I'd assume he's using Windows...otherwise he should've posted in the Linux forum.

I would try turning down the resolution (to maybe 1280x1024?) and seeing if that works. Is this an LCD or CRT monitor? Is it widescreen (looking at the resolution, I'd assume it is)? What kind of monitor/graphics card are you using?

If you are using Ubuntu/Xubuntu, try the same (change resolution), and if you're using an ATi X1k or greater or nVidia card, you'll have to install proprietary (restricted) drivers.

the new nvidia drivers don't like certain monitors. I have this exact problem on my 42 plasma hitachi.

I move my plasma to the main room to use a tv, and I just bought a 37 in vizio to use as a hdtv monitor. it doesn't suffer from either issue (oversize desktop and screen blanking when adjusting desktop)

CalcProgrammer1 is right. Try installing the nvidia proprietary drivers and if that doesn't work, turn the resolution down a little.

And also, you really shouldn't post Linux questions in a "Windows" forum. I knew right away from the description of your problem that you were using Linux and not Windows. You're just lucky there are people here who know about Linux, too. There is a "Linux, BSD, other *nixes & Open Source Software" subforum here, which is the proper place to ask. But I'd say because of the inactivity there, you would be much better off going to Ubuntu Forums They are one of the most active forums on the net and very willing to help.

CalcProgrammer1 is right. Try installing the nvidia proprietary drivers and if that doesn't work, turn the resolution down a little.

And also, you really shouldn't post Linux questions in a "Windows" forum. I knew right away from the description of your problem that you were using Linux and not Windows. You're just lucky there are people here who know about Linux, too. There is a "Linux, BSD, other *nixes & Open Source Software" subforum here, which is the proper place to ask. But I'd say because of the inactivity there, you would be much better off going to Ubuntu Forums They are one of the most active forums on the net and very willing to help.

Sorry but it is on a windows xp machine. I've been here long enough to know where to post.

The monitor is a Samsung 226BW and the graphics card is an ATI x1650 or something close to that. I can change the resolution and it will fit on the monitor just fine, I would just rather use the higher resolution. I guess I will try to see if there is a monitor driver to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom