Will My Graphics Hard Bring Down My New Monitor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blair.harrington

Beta member
I'm eyeing a 24" monitor made by HP. It contains both VGA and DVI cables in the box, so I'm confident my Dell Dimension tower will be just fine in terms of using both.

My question however is this: the tower is 6.5 years old. I have no idea what it has for a graphics card. Will my new monitor suffer in regards to best picture quality possible when connected to my tower?

And as a follow up, I believe I'd be using a VGA connection (was DVI even around back in 2001?). If this is the case, will the picture also suffer due to the VGA connection?

All responses are appreciated. Thanks!

no.. unless u game at high resolutions... u won't notice performance differences.. and yes the peformance in regular activities will be fine... i would know.. I'm running a Dell 22'' on a Radeon 9250.. hehe

What about picture quality? Will I get the sharpest/best experience visually, despite my ancient tower? Does it have anything to do with my graphics card?

yes.. it'll be normal.. as long as u don't game its fine.. if u do game.. u can't really play at the direct resolution of the monitor... without a lot of lag..

I don't game. I'd use it for web, writing, photos, and video editing, if I end up getting a mac mini.

vernong1992: any thoughts on using a vga input vs. dvi?

dvi is a little brighter then vga also... I can notice it on my 19in. when I switch them... I would think that you might loose a "little" picture quality just because of how dated the pc is... but it isn't anything huge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom