About RAM/Dual Channel

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeller

In Runtime
I have four DDR2 RAM slots. I have a 1 GB stick in there. I was going to get this. But that would leave me with three GB of RAM--two of which are dual channel.

What should I do? If I get the two sticks of dual channel, then I'd have an uneven 3 GB. But if I just go for one more GB, I'd have an even 2 GB but it wouldn't be dual channel.

Thanks.

if you buy 1 more RAM of same specifications, it will work as Dual Channel.

if you insert the two + 1 that you already have, you'll lose dual channel. for dual channel, you have to have 1 slot on each side covered. which in later case wont be. so better to make a dual channel, buy one identical that you have.

or buy the one you showed, and get rid of the one you already have.

if you buy 1 more RAM of same specifications, it will work as Dual Channel.

if you insert the two + 1 that you already have, you'll lose dual channel. for dual channel, you have to have 1 slot on each side covered. which in later case wont be. so better to make a dual channel, buy one identical that you have.

or buy the one you showed, and get rid of the one you already have.

Okay, thanks.

make sure, that if you are buying 1 identical, it should be 100% identical in terms of specs (manufacturer can differ) but for optimal stability, I will recommend same manufacturer.

make sure, that if you are buying 1 identical, it should be 100% identical in terms of specs (manufacturer can differ) but for optimal stability, I will recommend same manufacturer.

I'm just going for the new pair :p.

Maybe my Mom's old Dell has DDR2 support :D.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom