Will an S3 Savage 16MB PCI work in my system on XP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vaanish

Fully Optimized
I'm selling my two Graphics cards in my possession for a really good price (http://www.techist.com/forums/f40/f...x1550-256mb-free-shipping-160544/#post1247552) and seeing as though I don't have an onboard graphics chip, I need a replacement until I get a new high end card and I don't know when that will be.

If I get an S3 Savage 16MB PCI card off my mate (I was offered a GeForce 6600 but I turned that down) and install the drivers, will I be good to go? Has anyone heard anything about this card being bad or not working?

Also, when I took his old computer to pieces and saw the card, I wanted to take the heat sink off. So I pulled really hard and the heat sink came off but also the pins that were holding it in fell off as well.

DH835-11TV-unit%5B1%5D.jpg

It looked like that. (The heatsink not the card I know its not AGP dont flame me) Do you think that I can put thermal paste on and trust that it will adhere the heat sink and the chip together, or should I put a rubber band around the HS and PCB and hold it on that way? Is that a safe thing to do? Could it damage the card?

I know that this is a stupid question but I always like to make sure of things that I do to my computer that they aren't going to damage it.

Thanks.

It should work fine on XP. may i ask why you turned a 6600 down? Also put some electricians tape around it if you are doubtful.

Yeah, why did you turn it down? it will KILL it cos it doesnt have a heatsink - wedging it back on MAY not give full contact with hte board, eventually overheating it! (i think...)

Your poor generous friend, he must be really upset you didnt want that 6600....its a really good offer, giving it to you for free as a stopgap....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom