Floppy pins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toshiro

In Runtime
I need to boot from a floppy on an older computer (a Compaq from about 6 years ago) to format the HDD, partition into one big FAT32 partition, and install Win98 from CD, which I can't do from the CD drive because the CD isn't bootable (I've tested it on many computers).

Problem is, the floppy drive in the computer wont read disks. It's really dirty (dust and grime all over in it), but I have no idea how to clean a floppy drive. It might not be dirty in the important parts, and is just broken, but I have no way to tell.

I got a free floppy drive from a friend, but when I went to hook it up, I noticed it had 34 pins. ALL 34 pins. The floppy cable and mobo connector (and every other floppy drive and floppy cable I've seen) actually have 33 pins, with the empty spot in the lower left area. My friend didn't know if the drive worked or not, or even where it came from (it used to be her dad's but he didn't want it).

What's the deal with this true-34 pin floppy drive? I'm assuming it wouldn't be too smart to try and clip the pin off or something (no clue what to use to do that anyway). I would just go get another drive, but I can't order online and the nearest computer store is a 45 minute drive from my house.

By the way, it's manufactured by Mitsumi... and it looks just like a regular floppy drive in every way except the stupid extra pin.

Okay... So would getting a cable with all 34 pin holes get the floppy drive to work with the 33-pin connector? Or is it not going to work with this computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom