Computer Shuts down when playing games

Status
Not open for further replies.

joe_mama81

Beta member
I have encountered a problem that has me completely confused. My computer keeps shutting down randomly when playing any game. Its only when playing a game that it just shuts down... anything else it stays up and running. When it shuts down I can just hit the power button and let it boot up with no errors or anything.

I have been running speedfan and also Everest to check temps of everything. Avg temp of Cpu: 40C
Avg temp of GPU: 47C
All other temps AVG: 45C

So i don't think its a temp problem at all. Here are my specs for my computer:

AMD X2 5200
Nvidia Geforce 7950GT
650watt PSU
180GB HD
Windows XP SP2
2gigs of memory

Can anyone help me out with this? Like I said my comp is fine when I am not running games. but when in a game the comp might not shut down for 10mins or an hour definitely no regular intervals or pattern in the time.

Thanks guys...

Joe

BTW I took it to a computer shop and they ran a test on the memory and said it was fine too, and they said the PSU was working properly but yet they tested it when it was not running any games...

Okay I think this could be related to my problem to. I just got a blue screen when I was on the desktop.... it said something of this nature Computer_Check_something I did not get to see that last part cause my comp restarted itself... I have never got a blue screen before today. Also with the problem of the computer shutting down that just started happening not even a week ago and I have had the comp since January.

Got to be someone that has some ideas about this problem cause I am completely stumped.

Have you tried to run antivirus software? I know it sounds simple, but that did it for me one time :)

If not, I think there are some settings in windows somewhere that could mess them up, but I'm not sure what they are. Sorry :p

Also, are you using Vista?

To answer both questions here is my specs and I do not have a multimeter...

AMD Athlonâ„¢64 X2 5200
AMD ATHLON64 CERTIFIED CPU FAN & HEATSINK + 3 EXTRA CASE FANS
MOTHERBOARD: (Socket AM2)GigaByte GA-M55SLI-S4 nForce4 SLI Chipset DDR2/800 SATA 16x PCI-Express
Windows XP Home Edition w/ Service Pack 2
POWERSUPPLY: Apevia 600W DARK SIDE POWER (ATX-AS600W-BK)
NVIDIA GeForce 7950 GT 512MB 16X PCI Express

Yeah I did both antivirus and also checked for spyware.

Hmmmm...

If you can, I would get a multimeter from someone and check the power supply.

Even though it sounds like a power supply problem, it could also very well be power on the Video Card since it's only with games.

Also, things like this have been known to happen when the onboard video is on at the same time as the Video Card.

One other thing is flashing the BIOS. If the BIOS is out of date, that could very well be the problem

Hope some of that helped

~snake~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom