Quad-Fire or SLi?

Status
Not open for further replies.
you can still only use two HD 3870 X2's in crossfire, for a maximum of four GPU's
and according to TheInquirer, they'll cost between $399 and $499, which is the same or a bit higher price as two 3870's cost right now

Anyway, the Gigabyte AM2+ boards aren't as good as MSI's AM2+ boards are. Even if you don't plan on running four cards in crossfire, the MSI K9A2 Platinum is just generally a better board.

he's right.. even tho the DQ6 is pricey.. benchmarks seem to favor the MSI in terms of overclocking... and just mobo score...

you can still only use two HD 3870 X2's in crossfire, for a maximum of four GPU's
and according to TheInquirer, they'll cost between $399 and $499, which is the same or a bit higher price as two 3870's cost right now

really? Heck ya! If it does good, ill get one, then another later. If not, then all wait until R700.

Anyway, the Gigabyte AM2+ boards aren't as good as MSI's AM2+ boards are. Even if you don't plan on running four cards in crossfire, the MSI K9A2 Platinum is just generally a better board.

why? I chose this board because it frees the PCI slots so i can use them, one of them is for my M-AUDIO sound card. The other might be for this PCI adapter. Btw, how is that PCI adapter u said u have? U have one right?

NETGEAR WPN311 IEEE 802.11b/g PCI RangeMax Wireless Adapter Up to 108Mbps Data Rates Hardware-based 40/64-bit & 128-bit WEP encryption WPA-PSK
Newegg.com - NETGEAR WPN311 IEEE 802.11b/g PCI RangeMax Wireless Adapter Up to 108Mbps Data Rates Hardware-based 40/64-bit & 128-bit WEP encryption WPA-PSK - Retail

NETGEAR WPN111 IEEE 802.11b/g USB 2.0 RangeMax Wireless Adapter Up to 108Mbps Data Rates Hardware-based 40/64-bit & 128-bit WEP encryption WPA-PSK - Retail
Newegg.com - NETGEAR WPN111 IEEE 802.11b/g USB 2.0 RangeMax Wireless Adapter Up to 108Mbps Data Rates Hardware-based 40/64-bit & 128-bit WEP encryption WPA-PSK - Retail

with one of these (most likely the PCI version) will let me move my computer to my room for privacy n will help me a lot on concentrating with work.

he's right.. even tho the DQ6 is pricey.. benchmarks seem to favor the MSI in terms of overclocking... and just mobo score...

maybe, but price isnt a problem.

EDIT:

i just read from a review off newegg of the PCI adapter version that it will NOT support Vista, thus not getting 108 Mbps :(

the USB adapter has bad reviews, so idk what to do. I either get one of these products, n get a slower speed, maybe not connect n reconnect at times, which will ruin online gaming for me, or i just have my computer in the game room with no privacy what so even n have a 24' like cable from the internet port to my computer.

EDIT 2:

latest driver is May 22, 2007 n they claim that they support Vista. Even Netgear says that it wont go up to 108 Mbps. Looks like im gonna have to skip getting one n have my computer in the game room until better drivers come out.

WPN311 SW Version 2.0

really? Heck ya! If it does good, ill get one, then another later. If not, then all wait until R700.
a 3870, or 3870 X2?

why? I chose this board because it frees the PCI slots so i can use them, one of them is for my M-AUDIO sound card.
Better overclocking and BIOS, better layout (so you can run four dual slot cards in crossfire, instead of single slot cards), and I think the colours are better.

The other might be for this PCI adapter. Btw, how is that PCI adapter u said u have? U have one right?
the wireless card?
I'm using a Netgear WPN311T, and I'm using Atheros drivers. It runs well.

I'd get the WPN311T over this one

Haven't used it, but apparently the drivers it uses aren't very good.
Personally, I'm having a look at the WUSB300N
Newegg.com - LINKSYS WUSB300N IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11g, Draft IEEE 802.11n USB 2.0 Wireless-N Network Adapter 256-bit WEP, WPA and WPA2 Encryption Security - Retail
Again, they can be modified to fit a different antenna

maybe, but price isnt a problem.
Even without considering price, the MSI K9A2 is a better board.

i just read from a review off newegg of the PCI adapter version that it will NOT support Vista, thus not getting 108 Mbps :(
so don't get that one.

the USB adapter has bad reviews, so idk what to do. I either get one of these products, n get a slower speed, maybe not connect n reconnect at times, which will ruin online gaming for me, or i just have my computer in the game room with no privacy what so even n have a 24' like cable from the internet port to my computer.
The WUSB300N should give you a good connection.
It has a USB extension cable, so you can place it where you can get a better signal.
And it comes with descently powerful antennas.

latest driver is May 22, 2007 n they claim that they support Vista. Even Netgear says that it wont go up to 108 Mbps. Looks like im gonna have to skip getting one n have my computer in the game room until better drivers come out.

WPN311 SW Version 2.0
I recommend you stay away from that particular one.

I think it would be a better idea to wait for 9 series from nvidia which is supposed to come out on February than wasting your money on Crossfire and SLI

I think it would be better idea to wait for 9 series from nvidia which is supposed to come out on February than wasting your money on SLI or crossfire
I could get crossfired 3870's now, and if the 9-series cards turn out to be significantly better, I can sell the 3870's and get one.

I hope power consumption for the 9-series cards won't be through the roof, like the G80 and R600 was.

a 3870, or 3870 X2?

the 3870 x2

Better overclocking and BIOS, better layout (so you can run four dual slot cards in crossfire, instead of single slot cards), and I think the colours are better.

dont need 4, but considering how graphics r now that Crysis is out proving this, maybe. However, i only plan to Crossfire 2 dual slot cards. Sry my choice.

I'm using a Netgear WPN311T, and I'm using Atheros drivers. It runs well.

i see, i might look into this one, but what im looking for is the fastest connection possible to my Netgear Super Wireless-G 108 Mbps.

if u think i dont need a faster wireless g just to connect to a slightly slower connection then RangeMax or something, then i guess i can go for this one that u have.

where u get those drivers? Is it a big improvement in Vista?

Even without considering price, the MSI K9A2 is a better board.

is this according to benchmarks? What about benchmarks for the GIGABYTE mobo i posted?

The WUSB300N should give you a good connection.
It has a USB extension cable, so you can place it where you can get a better signal.
And it comes with descently powerful antennas.

well this one is wireless N n all i need is G.

question, i know wireless n is wider range n requires faster connection to that range bigger then wireless g, but would this NOT effect wireless g routers because it uses a smaller range then wireless n, thus not improving connection of wireless g connection?

dont need 4, but considering how graphics r now that Crysis is out proving this, maybe. However, i only plan to Crossfire 2 dual slot cards. Sry my choice.
Even if you aren't crossfiring 4 cards, the MSI board will be better.

i see, i might look into this one, but what im looking for is the fastest connection possible to my Netgear Super Wireless-G 108 Mbps.
I just realised I got the model wrong.
It's a WG311T, not a WPN311T
But it runs at 108MB/s

where u get those drivers? Is it a big improvement in Vista?
I can't remember, but google should help.

is this according to benchmarks? What about benchmarks for the GIGABYTE mobo i posted?
According to a lot of people that own the gigabyte 790FX boards, and using a Phenom, they're hitting overclocking walls far earlier than on MSI's K9A2 boards.

I believe the Gigabyte boards are hitting walls at about 230HTT, while the K9A2's are getting around 250
The only reason the MSI's boards aren't getting past 250HTT, is because the BIOS's haven't got adjuatable HTT multiplier's yet.

well this one is wireless N n all i need is G.
N is backward-compatible with G

question, i know wireless n is wider range n requires faster connection to that range bigger then wireless g, but would this NOT effect wireless g routers because it uses a smaller range then wireless n, thus not improving connection of wireless g connection?
It won't be able to use the wireless N features to enhance the connection.
but the adapter I posted does have much more powerful antennas than you'll find on most USB or PCI cards.

*edit*
R700 is supposed to also come out the beginning of 2008. If they're cheap enough, I could crossfire them.

Even if you aren't crossfiring 4 cards, the MSI board will be better.

u seem to be right. The only way i would be able to use both PCI slots is if i put 1 dual slot graphics card on the first PCI-E from the top n the next one on the very bottom.

i guess i should get the MSi mobo instead, once it stays available to purchase off newegg again.

It won't be able to use the wireless N features to enhance the connection.
but the adapter I posted does have much more powerful antennas than you'll find on most USB or PCI cards.

really? I should get the Linksys instead.

thx for the help!!

EDIT:

omfg, im typing in forums n it's 4:58am here! The only reason y im on so late is because i wanted to save my chars from expiring in Diablo 2. I'm going to bed!

u seem to be right. The only way i would be able to use both PCI slots is if i put 1 dual slot graphics card on the first PCI-E from the top n the next one on the very bottom.

i guess i should get the MSi mobo instead, once it stays available to purchase off newegg again.
If you get a USB wireless card, you'll only need one PCI slot, if that.

I'll be wanting to use one PCI slot for my X-Fi XtremeMusic.
Creative hasn't bothered to make any X-Fi's in PCI-E, except for the crappy Xtreme Audio

and for USB, there are no X-Fi's. And if there was, they probably won't make it nearly as good as an internal card would be.
really? I should get the Linksys instead.

thx for the help!!
Yeah, I think I might actually get one myself. Then I'll only need to use one PCI slot.

the bottom line is you could wait your whole life until you make a decision. for example, you could build a rig now and get 3870's and a phenom, or you could wait until the G92 revision comes out and pop that on a later version of the phenom, or you could wait for a peryn and a 9 series gfx card. or you could wait until the phenom FX comes out and get some r800 series cards...

the point is you can wait forever to get the best of the best. my point being that it gets a little annoying when people are constantly saying wait to get your rig cause this this and this are coming out a month or two from now.

i'm personally going w/ a 3850 and a 3870 if i can afford it, and then when i get the money and the better phenom's are out im gonna upgrade to an am2+ board and get some more cards.

but you have to start somewhere and it doesn't make sense to be waiting for the "right" time to buy because the hardware is always going to get better.

so why not make your system future proof and get an am2+ board and a low end cpu (am2+ is backwards compatible with am2 correct?) and crossfire some 3970's and when the r800 comes out, if you can again add those into the mix like you can with the 3850's and the 3870's then do that. and just upgrade as you go along with out spending ludacris amounts of money building a new rig every couple of months...cough nosboost cough...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom