Cheapest rig

Status
Not open for further replies.

jobmitsuo

Baseband Member
So i'm debating on building a rig for my parents. They have an old 1.5ghz 512ram rig so i'm just going to upgrade them to something that will support the bare min for vista. all they ever use it for is web, word proc, and once and a while they use it for burning. So i need some recommendations for some really really cheap hardware, if i can build it for less then 300 that would be amazingly awesome.

Comes to a total of 249 before shipping. Should run vista very smoothly.
Don't forget to add the cost of Vista unless you can get that elsewhere. The onboard video may not run the Aero Vista GUI very well, so perhaps just get the Home Basic version for $95 (although the Home Premium version is only $10 more). You'll also want to add a word processor as well. MS Office for Home is about $140 with Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. If you have CDs for their old apps, you can give those a shot as well.

as far as office goes don't waste money on MS office.. go with open office, its not as aesthetically pleasing but its just as good if not better and easier to understand then MS office.

OpenOffice is the best freeware to exist.. unless u wanna obtain office like a lot of tech-heads nobody is stopping you ;)

or u can go for the "obtaining" way.. thats right Peer Pressure from Vernon!!

btw nice build there Gurusan

thanx :D And the onboard video will run Aero just fine. My stepfather's laptop has Intel GMA and it runs aero flawlessly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom