Quad-Fire or SLi?

Status
Not open for further replies.
its costs less then sli ultra's by a looong way.
Which is one of the reasons I'm going to crossfire two 3870's
And crossfired 3870's perform better on average than SLI'd 8800 GT's, and use very little power.
it better have X-Fi intregrated sound or id be one mad bunny. But maybe as Crossfire scales better you could put a 3850 in one slot and have room for top spec soundcard. :D
If you crossfire a 3870 with a 3850, the 3850 is going to slow down the 3870 in two of the rendering modes. the alternate frame rendering mode should prevent that from happening though (since each card takes turns in rendering each frames independently)

Nobody on this forum is ever going to do it anyway..... :p
I might.

I'll be starting off with two 3870's. But I might end up getting another two, just for the heck of it.

too bad u can't run any PCI cards after u put 4 hd3870's in there..
Yeah, I currently have a PCI X-Fi XtremeMusic, and a PCI wireless card.

Although you might be able to get some coolers that will free up the PCI or PCI-E slots.

for example, the HR-03 variants. If you put one of them on the top card, with the heatsink on the top of the card, then it frees up the PCI-E 1X slot.

If creative ever bothers to make a good X-Fi in PCI-E 1X (not the crappy Xtreme Audio they have right now), you could put it in that spare slot

And for a wireless card, there is USB. And they can be modified to use an antenna that's actually descent.

the MSI K9A2 Platinum can run four dual slot cards in crossfire
k9a2.jpg

im gonna try to get this one for Christmas:

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-MA790FX-DQ6 AM2+/AM2 AMD 790FX ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

i want a have 2 HD 3870 x2 when they become available. HA! 4 GPUs in dual crossfire!

im gonna try to get this one for Christmas:

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-MA790FX-DQ6 AM2+/AM2 AMD 790FX ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

i want a have 2 HD 3870 x2 when they become available. HA! 4 GPUs in dual crossfire!
you can still only use two HD 3870 X2's in crossfire, for a maximum of four GPU's
and according to TheInquirer, they'll cost between $399 and $499, which is the same or a bit higher price as two 3870's cost right now

Anyway, the Gigabyte AM2+ boards aren't as good as MSI's AM2+ boards are. Even if you don't plan on running four cards in crossfire, the MSI K9A2 Platinum is just generally a better board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom