Slow computer after long day....

Status
Not open for further replies.

cnelson8611

Baseband Member
I have a AMD Athlon 2200 w/ 608 MB RAM and two hd installed. Win XP home.
About 3 months ago I worked on a friends computer and installed new ram so it could run faster for her. I then took the old ram from my friend's computer and stuck it into my computer hoping that it would help performance...(it didn't seem to be bad in anyway)
Unfortunately, my computer's performance has gone down hill. Especially after a long day of running multiple programs and applications it starts to get slow and freezes. One day I tryed to restart and it took forever to reboot and once it was done it took forever to show the desktop (the desktop was black).
Could it be the older RAM doing this or possibly something else screwing it up?
It isn't bothering me that much... but it has been getting very boring having to manually shut down or disable programs from the Windows Task Manager.

Anyone have any ideas??

you have to make sure that it is supported by you mobo and it is the same type as the rest of the stick in you pc.

Yeah, I read my motherboard manual before I put it in... but I do not think it is the same type as the other sticks.
I will add one more thing... my computer does recognize the new ram.

u need to keep ur RAM all the same... PC2700 for example... if u have that in a computer, dont buy a PC3200 and stick in with it... keep them the same

Is that what is probably causing the slow down? Is it possible that a computer can slow down and become sluggish after a long day? I wouldn't think it could... lol

im guessin it might be that u have all differ types of RAM sticks.. cuz my friend tried to do that but his would do weird shit... so that might be the prob

The stick of RAM may be clocked slower than the existing memory. For example... If you are running your memory at 400 Mhz (PC3200), and add a 333 Mhz (PC2700)... It will be a bottleneck and force the rest of your memory to run at the same speed (333 Mhz).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom