xfire hd3870s or 8800GT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kur0suto

Baseband Member
hello, with the deal of $20 off in bestbuy, i was wondering if i should just grab 2 of them and xfire them or wait til newegg go back in stock wth 8800GT then do step up in feb, if the rumors with the G92 series is valid.

im using an ASUS p5b deluxe/wifi mobo and will be getting Q6600 soon, sometime around christmas or december.

my aim is to be as futureproof as possible and my money to be spent as efficiently as possible...

any recommendations?

Well best buy is sold out on the 3870s. I was actually debating on doing the same thing and selling my gt cards. Honestly, 1 GT plays everything except for crysis at max/max/max.

i say wait till 8800GT is back in stock. I see your mobo supports crossfire but the second pci-e slot is x4 speed... whereas an X38 mobo has x16 speed on both slots fully utilizing crossfires power.

Get the 8800GT enjoy it and when you get to the time you feel you might need Sli (2x8800GT).. think about getting a new mobo. You can simply transfer your Q6600 cpu and graphics card, ram and other stuff over.

plus 8800GT is like an asset. if you got 1 or 2 youll always be able to sell them easy whenever you like.

unless someone says that crossfire with the second pci-e slot at x4 doesnt matter thats whats i would do. Just an idea ;)

If the GTS gets priced the same way as the Gt did at Fry's im gonna grab 2 and sell my GT cards :p

Judging from benchmarks, crossfired HD 3870's will perform on average better than SLI'd 8800 GT's

But like said, your board only supports 4X in the second slot. But how much that will affect performance, I don't know.

Judging from benchmarks, crossfired HD 3870's will perform on average better than SLI'd 8800 GT's

But like said, your board only supports 4X in the second slot. But how much that will affect performance, I don't know.

What review were you looking at? The one I saw had the 8800gt sli beating it, and in games like crysis crossfire didn't have any benefit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom