Are you smarter than Gateway Tech Support?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rentsch33

Beta member
I just got done having an hour conversation with Gateway which got me nothing. I've got a Gateway Tablet Notebook, and I'm trying to get my desktop to show up on my TV....I've got the RCA cord.....is this possible?

what type of video card you have? You need something with an s-video-out.. look for a pic of it on google, once you attach it, it's pretty simple from there on, you just use the graphics card GUI to set it up, where you can chose to clone or extend your desktop to the TV screen and set refresh rate and resolution

wait, my bad, you mentioned desktop, i didn't know you had a laptop, you've gotta have an s-video output either way...

ait, my bad, you mentioned desktop, i didn't know you had a laptop, you've gotta have an s-video output either way...
Or VGA input or DVI input on the TV.

Most new HDTV's (Plasmas, LCD's, etc) have either VGA or DVI (DVI usually in the form of HDMI, but there are DVI-HDMI adapters out there) inputs. I hooked my laptop to our Plasma TV and it worked fine.

If the TV is older and only has up to Component (RGB), you can often use RGB with your graphics card. Usually this comes in the form of a 7-pin S-Video cord that has Red, Green, and Blue RCA plugs on it.

If you TV doesn't support Component, and only supports up to S-Video, you can use an S-Video cable to go from PC to TV. Usually laptops have S-Video ports for their TV-out, so it should be simple.

If you only have composite, then you'll either have a composite (yellow) port on your PC, or you'll have a 7-pin S-Video (standard S-Video uses 4 pins, the extra 3 work with special adapters to provide composite and component jacks). If you have a 7-pin S-Video port, then your PC should have come with a yellow plug that had S-Video on one side and composite (yellow) on the other. Use that to connect the TV.

Usually you can find the software options by right clicking, Properties, then Settings tab. Usually you either extend your Desktop on to a second monitor or click the Advanced tab. If you use nVidia or ATi's newest packages, there will be an option (Catalyst for ATi, nView or something for nVidia) in your right-click menu already, just use that option instead.

if the tv is not hdtv then it is fairly pointless trying to hook it up, to your computer as the resolution will be very low and difficult to set with lots of blurring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom