Upgrading to core duo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just save a little more, prices are falling every day :p Plus at this point you are going to be hard pressed to find a 3870 for a reasonable price anyway.

Just save a little more, prices are falling every day :p Plus at this point you are going to be hard pressed to find a 3870 for a reasonable price anyway.

Agreed when Nvidia, and intel retaliate in the first Q of 08, prices are going to be good, but if you need the PC right now. Then its all up too you, do you want crossfire or a quadcore. If it was me I would go with a quadcore and when something came out later on I would then upgrade my graphics card if I needed too. But thats just me.

Oh another thing to think about...unless you like to run huge resolutions, as in 24" monitors or higher, you will gain more benefit from the q6600 than you would from crossfire.

Well I do need to upgrade right now for a certain reason, so maybe what I'll do is go with q6660 and get a crossfire capable mobo and instead of getting the 3870 ill get a 3850 and maybe upgrade when nvidia counters ati's 3870 or crossfire with the 3850 in the future. So I think I'm going to get this mobo: Newegg.com - ASUS P5K LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
I can crossfire with this mobo can't I? Also can I use an IDE HDD with this board?

Also, I have a ZALMAN CNPS7700-CU I'll need to get a new one for the quad won't I? I also have a ZALMAN VF700-CU for the GPU, I'll have to get a new one of those as well if I want good temps on the 3850 right?

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more! looks like the second pci-e slot is only x4 speed.. which is not good. you need another P35 crossfire mobo recommendation.

btw man nvidia dont need to counter anything of ati at the present moment lol. Nvidia has 3 models(GT,GTX,Ultra) that better then ati's best card (3870). The comparible card to a 3870 is the 8800GT... which wins in single mode but 3870 just beats it in crossfire vs sli.

Good choice on the Q6600. yep youll need a decent cooler to get the most out of her. Most people recommend Tuniq Tower.. but i hear Zalman fans are pretty decent.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom