SATA to IDE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaotique

Beta member
I accidentally bought a SATA drive for my pc... now I don't know what to do. I heard you could use some cables/converters to plug it up to an IDE mobo, but I don't know exactly what I need. All I can figure is the power cord.:confused:

The image below will show what a typical sata type data cable looks like. The first thing to do there is look over the manual on the board to see if there are sata ports available on it since those small when seen on any board.

The sata to ide power conversion adapters are readily available for a low cost that simply plug into the standard molex connector if the power supply there lacks the power connectors for sata type drives.

I'll be looking at one case later with a Sata 1 drive there. You have two options for power on those with the standard molex or sata power connection. The sata to ide converter cables will work just as well as adding in a separate controller card.

The hardware limitation still see a lack of any real gain from the sata bus while a controller will allow multiple drives if you want to expand later. Your other option is simply to return that for an ide model.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom