XP slow startup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pat2k5

Baseband Member
my computer lately has been very slow to login.

it loads up quick.

but once i type my password it can take minutes before the start menu and icons appear.

sometimes it does not appear at all. :(

my specs are in my sig.

any helps appreciated. thanks

defragment the hard drive may improve it but if you havnt defragmented before then it will take quite a long time but its worth it in the end

Click the Start button-->Run-> type 'msconfig' (no quotes) and go to the startup tab. Uncheck anything you do not use, which in most cases will be almost everything. There really only be a few programs you would want Started on start up and they are any Anti-Virus programs you run. thats about it, everything else will likely just hogg up resources and make your start up very slow.

Anything like Realmedia Player, Yahoo blah blah, Google Blah Blah, Kodakk easypicture and so on, uncheck, better yet unistall.

i have always had on startup.....

Antivirus
creative volume panel
Windows live messenger
The theres another 2-3 items which i dont know what they are, well i do but then i dont if you know what i mean, for example i "think" AVG has more than one start up entry.
Anyway altogether ive 9 things ticked and my pc loads up fast

As long as you havent got more than 15 i cant see any reason at all for your pc hanging on startup, especially a high end rig such as yours.

If the problem persists id reinstall windows and then just install stuff that YOU need and use, then you will know for sure no crap is running

i never have anything starting up cos im cool ^o)

ok so:

start>run>msconfig>startup programs>uncheck all>restart system

start?computer>right click on local disk C:>tools>defragment>start

hope that helps

first tip courtesy of BlueHeaven ;)

alrite here's the situation.

i have defrag'd, no improvement.
i have removed all programs & non microsoft services from startup in msconfig, no impovement.
i have tried the regedit trick that can slow down startup if a computer has large .avi files, no improvement.
i went down the shop and bought another 4 gb kit, replaced the 2 gb kit i had so i now have 8 gb ram. first bootup it was quick, then after restart it takes time again.

i am really stumped here and dont know wtf's going on.

you could format if your desperate i know thts not much help but it will almost most certaintly solve your problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom