Installation of Win. XP Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can run into a bad batch of blanks at times too. I know that well even with the older familiar brands. Generally I see reliable burns with TDKs as far as cd-rs are concerned besides the occasional disk toss contest. :p

But when going to use a factory sealed container of their dvd-rs for burning a data dvd...what?! track data already on a blank disk? :confused: :mad: GGrrrr... I found that on some odd generic labeled brand as well with the same type of crap tossing those out.

I had these for a long time they never...failed me lol i dont know maybe its some thing with the dvd rw? my dvd rw....maybe some cables are messed up or something?

Believe or not I have two personal friends now hounding me about problems with repair installs and reinstalls of XP one where everything including the repair install will constantly freeze up. And the other where the screen keeps going black since the monitor type setting was changed in the desktop properties!

On the second case there the sata drive that was never put to use when the driver disk wasn't made up correctly will now see use for a clean install. GParted will easily take care of creating the primary where that will be formatted later by the XP installer as Windows goes on. All this is with working optical drives however.

If the drive you have is seeing the lazer going on you that will readily explain why you are seeing all kids of installation errors and problems copying setup files to the HDs there. For cables I dumped the flat ribbon as well as some cheapo round cables and stricly use the Antec Cobra dual nylon wrapped ide cables.

They cost enough with shipping even higher! But they take a beating on more then one build and keep going. Flat ribbons harden up too fast and simply cause problems after some period of time. This is why I suggested trying a different one for the optical drive there as well as for the hard drives.

i was thinking maybe.. the problem is just that the motherboard doesnt see the harddrive when installing the Win Xp maybe i should just download the drivers onto a floppy from the Asus webbie...and just press F6 when Win Xp Install prompts me to...that should work i hope..what do u think?

if you browse the software cd that comes with the board look in the drivers or utility sub folders for the driver disk folder. That will see options for RAID and another for SATA. Inside those there's generally an executable for creating the driver floppy seen there.

With some cds for boards you can boot off of them for seeing the create driver disk along with the format floppy option while others have to be run while in Windows. I found that out on two different Asus boards(one nForce the other VIA both 939 models) where one would simply see Windows load while the other actually loaded.

Verifying a floppy made is a little awkward if you see one driver not copying and loading type of error messages come up. On the last build here the format option was used when booting with the cd while the create disk option had to run in Windows in order to see a working floppy. I'm helping a friend out in the next get the VIA model going where hopefully the XP installer will finally recognise the Sata 1 HD there.

i think i burned my mother board..when i took it out...i try to turn on my pc...my pc starts for a sec and turns off rite away...is it burned?

ouch! alright If you unplugged any of the power connections a contact may be loose inside the connector itself. I found that when swapping supplies on the last build where the four wire 12v cpu feed was simply replugged in lightly until the retainer clicked to see that fire up.

The worst is finding out you have a bad cap or two on the board itself. Take a close look over of the board for any caps bulged or any discoloration there to see if something went toasr on you. But recheck the connections anyways while doing that.

what do u mean bulged...well anyways umm i did unplug all the power connectors and i was concerned cause i dont know how to pu them back in... like the PWRSW,HDD light and stuff..so yea

The online manual in pdf form or a look at the diagram in the manual included with the board shows which pins are used for each plugin. You have to get down in there with a pocket magnifier and small pocket sized pen light on some boards if the block of pins lacks colored sections for each.

RS, HLED< PLED< Power each should have their own markings. The diagram shows which pin is for ground or lead as well. As far as bulged or leaking caps you will see where one will look different from another similar or identical one along with possibly seeing a discoloration on the board near it if it shorted.

okay i connected them...all according to the manual...still the same thing ... can it be something else.. maybe i connected something else on the mother board maybe thats why its not starting..?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom