Still having problems with AGP card

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay I talked to ATI directly and I was told to not go for 6.11 or 7.11. I was told to go for 7.7 since they have been having problems with AGP and the newer drivers. That still didn't work and then I was told to update my chipset drivers and BIOS drivers and then try 7.7 again.

Naturally they will warn about the 7.11 since that is for the X1xxx and new 2xxx series cards out. ATI only makes so many catalysts for any line of cards. The bios doesn't have drivers but an update for the programming of the cmos there.

The problem is more likely die to these being updates for PCI-Express type cards while still being listed in the AGP catagory. Lately their drivers have been something else to work with even with a new DX10 compatible card.

Try the Omega Drivers for your card, when the stock drivers (both ATi X1600Pro and nVidia GeForce4) let me down, I try the Omega Drivers, that usually gives a decent improvement.

AARRGH!! The guy told me to do a full format if I could and I did. STILL getting the same **** error. Whats the deal!

... try screaming at ati over the telephone. demand a manager or something like that. then i guess u could ask for a refund or something if you get that far... but i doubt u will. i would just sell or trash the card and buy a new one. but if you cant afford that, then just install the drivers that came with the disc that made it come up as a standard graphics adapter or whatever. Have u tried gaming on it? give it a shot.

Ok I think I found the problem. When trying to install the Omega drivers the second I started it told me that the following system requirements were not met: Windows 2000 or newer or Windows xp service pack 1 or newer. So obviously its my operating system thats the problem. Omega still let me continue with installation but it didn't work.

Thats why the ATI ones weren't working either. There must be a problem with my XP....

The 7.10 is for newer models not the one you have there. ATI told you not to use the 6.11 while those replaced the older catalysts for the 9xxx series cards. Probably the 7.2 or upto 7.4 is the highest you can go with that model.

I haven't tried gaming with it but I doubt it'd work. Simply youtube videos slow down when viewed in full screen. The ATI guy said theres no way its the card since my monitor is actually connected to the card...its just not using it because of drivers. I guess I'll try 7.2 as well.

On the older AGP card there you are having the same amount of fun I had with the new Radeon HD 2600XT model with the first version for that in both XP and Vista alike. ATI came out with a patch for the 7.9 that did little and got the 7.10 out fast afterwards.

Vista saw results while XP still had some flaky issues like the Start taskbar getting partitially washed out. Try the 7.2 and if that gives you grief that move upto the 7.4 to see if being the newer release will clean up the problem there. I still have to try the 7.11 on XP to see if that will help with the newer card's mess here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom