3870CF Vs. 8800GT SLi

Status
Not open for further replies.
maroon1 said:
A HD3850 with stock speeds performs slower than 8800GTS 320MB

Considering the 3850 is the lower of the two cards, of course it is. The 3870 is the faster card.

I'm glad to see more even competition between the two, myself.

But the one you posted is the an Xtreme version which have an overclocked clock speed and memory speed.
I know.

HD3850 with stock speeds performs slower than even 8800GTS 320MB
AMD's Radeon HD 3850 and 3870 graphics cards - The Tech Report - Page 5
which has 256MB vRAM. And I know it does.

The point is, there are 512MB 3850's, which are cheaper than the 8800 GT's and GTS's

The 3850 512MB won't perform as well as the 8800 GT single card vs single card.
But crossfire scales better.

wow, is there an explanation for why crossfire ends up better then sli, but 8800 gt single card is better then 3850?
SimHQ.com - Technology Zone - Review: ATI Radeon X1800 XT CrossFire

You don't need to specifically get a master and slave card with the 3850's or 3870's, though.

*edit*
I'm really liking the sound of two HD 3870's in crossfire on an MSI K9A2 Platinum (790FX), with a B3 Phenom 9x00 overclocked past 3GHZ
*edit*
and it will consume less power on average than my current 8800 GTS 320MB and 6000+

I'm thinking of Going Intel and ATI, A nice 45nm dual-core with 3870x2.
Unless AMD fixes up their Phenoms.

Crossfire has 3 different modes like in the review above, for the right task while SLI is just spliting up the screen and letting each video card do its job on each half.

Multi GPU been out forawhile, they should tweak it up some more now.

I'm thinking of Going Intel and ATI, A nice 45nm dual-core with 3870x2.
Unless AMD fixes up their Phenoms.
B3 steppings will have fixed the TLB problem, among other things.
They should clock to 3GHZ on pretty average air cooling. AMD's already done it before (in a PC they called DAAMIT, which they also used three high-end ATI cards in trifire. I think they might have been HD 2900's though)

Crossfire has 3 different modes like in the review above, for the right task while SLI is just spliting up the screen and letting each video card do its job on each half.

Multi GPU been out forawhile, they should tweak it up some more now.
You can't really do anything to alter the cards that already exist, unless it can be altered by software (i.e. drivers, maybe firmware). In the case of SLI, I doubt drivers can do much, except for a few minor tweaks here and there (same with Crossfire)
Otherwise, the only thing you can do is release a whole new GPU.

Currently, crossfire seems to scale significantly better - a few times, getting more than 100% increase.
I might guess that that would be possible because of the higher amount of video ram between the two video cards. But that is just a guess.

B3 steppings will have fixed the TLB problem, among other things.

i believe u, but what about the processors out now? How will those be fixed?

Currently, crossfire seems to scale significantly better - a few times, getting more than 100% increase.
I might guess that that would be possible because of the higher amount of video ram between the two video cards. But that is just a guess.

thats cool. To me, it sounds like Crossfire uses a bigger bandwidth for transferring data then SLI, am i right?

thats cool. To me, it sounds like Crossfire uses a bigger bandwidth for transferring data then SLI, am i right?

the ones now.. they probably won't.. and i don't see any reason in needing too.. the product can live at its current speed.. so no reason to fix whats out.. when there's nothing to fix... only overclockers are loosing out.. people like gateway, and hp and all them will still take em

and i keep forgetting you live in riverside!! i used to go there often!! lol... next time im' down i should pm you!! hahaha

from what i read, you just need a bios update.

what about the 13% clock to clock slower than Core 2 quads? They gonna fix that up or AMD gonna start another price war?

I wouldn't mind if the prices are like now anyway :p If you could get a quad core for $200 with a nice Crossfire motherboard under $100 that would be awesome.

I'm more interested in dual-cores anyway. Anyone know how the Kuma's are looking like?

sounds like more effective moniter sharing between the 2 Videocards with better technologies. to me anyway :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom