new OS or just use the same old one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you sure 64-bit can't run 16-bit applications?

Because many games use SecuROM protection, which used to (and I think still does) rely on 16-bit applications for its copyright protection.
Yes i am sure that 64 Bit can not run 16 Bit. It is not in their archicture to run it. If you see the 64 Bit arch you will se that it has a zone for 64 Bit and 2 32 Bit zones. They haev not made it capable of running 16 Bit. I can almost guarentee you that they boosted up to 32 Bit. But copyright protection and the actual applicaiton running are 2 different things.
so your saying depending on wht OS i get now, i can't run my games liek halo or CS? i'm guessing those r 32 bit and yea...all i really see is that they are 2 diff OS that only let you do certein things...

i really need a noob lingo explanation...
Halo and CS should still run on 64 Bit. But some things like NOD32 or Zone Alarm will have specific 64 Bit applications. It comes down to how the appication was created. If it is newer it should be able to run on both. but older games like say Diablo or Starcraft will not run on 64 Bit cause they do not run in 32 Bit process mode.

It is tough to fully explain. Let alone try to explain it in n00b lingo. But basically older apps, from the late 90's to the early 2000's were in 16 Bit. They were not in 32 Bit. It wasnt until 64 Bit came out that they realized that 64 Bit can not run 16 bit and that is why when 64 Bit came out so many things were not compatible with it. Now many things have updated their installs and coding to be 32 bit and now run on both 32 Bit and 64 Bit.

It is mainly the older software that you will run into problems with. Most of the stuff now a days you will not. But if you ahve apps that you run from XP's early days or before. They most likely will not run on 64 Bit.

okay thats good to know, so if i get a 32 bit ( which i imagen is cheaper) i can still run newer games? then what is the advantage of a 64 bit? and again a site to buy this stuff...anyone lol?

You keep asking for a site. How about Google, NewEgg, Tiger Direct, ZipZoomFly, Buy.com...there are hundreds of site to buy from. That is your choice. You will have to do the leg work on that one.

There is a difference in price for XP in 32 Bit and 64 Bit but Vista 32 or 64 Bit is all the same price. 32 Bit can run the newer games cause they are developed for both platforms.

The advantage of 64 Bit is the fact that it has more power to it. I cant really explain it. You will have to go thru Wiki and google to find the explination. I jsut cant think of a good way to explain it.

32 Bit can run the newer games cause they are developed for both platforms.

Except that there are some games that have a 64-bit version that won't run on a 32-bit OS. So if you go 32-bit, just make sure you don't accidentally buy 64-bit versions of the games.

As for me, I'm not going 64-bit until the next version of Windows. Maybe by then the world will have had time to adapt. I think with Linux it's probably safe to go 64-bit now, though.

Except that there are some games that have a 64-bit version that won't run on a 32-bit OS. So if you go 32-bit, just make sure you don't accidentally buy 64-bit versions of the games.

As for me, I'm not going 64-bit until the next version of Windows. Maybe by then the world will have had time to adapt. I think with Linux it's probably safe to go 64-bit now, though.

I havent seen any games for just the 64 Bit platform yet. That is why i made that statement. Do you know of any games that are stricly 64 Bit?

With Linux it would be safe to go 64 Bit now but i would still go 32 Bit. Being 64 Bit you should have a bit more RAM and CPU power. Since it does take a bit mroe to run it.

now i am pretty sure i haven't asked this yet, i like my current OS right now, but its old...about 4 years old to be precise. and i was wondering, for my new comp i am building. my dad wants me to get a new hard drive and just get a new OS for it buuut, i am thinking about keeping the hard drive i have now and just throwing it into the new comp.

now..would i really NEED a new OS? what are the Pros of getting a new one? and what OS do you sugest (not Vista)?

plz help!!!

Dude. What OS do you currently have? You keep saying you want a new os but don't say what you got now. Plus, if you are running windows 98 and want to go to XP you prob. gonna need a whole new pc. If you already have XP and don't want vista, then I'm confused.

i am getting a whole new PC, uhmmm okay well sounds like a 32 bit is just gonna end up dating itself somtime in the near future, uhm i guess a 64 bit might sound good then, unless game makers will just continue to make games for both 64 and 32. But then what is the big scare on vista? it doens't sound too bad really, just new, what bugs havn't been taken out yet? (i'm gonna research this q too, but any info from anyone is great)

currently idono wht i am running, its a dinasor, its like 5 years old and they comp says dementions 2400 (dude its a dell)

You do realize the computer you have already has 32bit win XP. A clean install and some more memory is probably all you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom