Building my first computer. 1400$ limit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personal opinion - I'd just stick with the single card theory bc/ by the time you truly need SLI or Crossfire (excluding a "pineapple" like Crysis - 10 points for whoever gets this recent tv show reference) then another single card will come out that can beat your SLI setup.
Bottom line for me: Why overkill when you don't have to?

chuck?

i agree though sli usually isn't worth it. however 2 8800gt's beats a gtx and costs less.

i think your right to a certain degree, although there are many factors to consider. Its nice to have the "option" to upgrade whenever you like with another gpu. You still can have 1 card and wait for something more powerful to replace that.. possibly sli that. wouldnt it be nice to know you can simply add another card and get better fps.

isnt your overclocked Q6600 overkill?

PCI-E 2.0 SLi is the best option in my eyes.

abit ip35 ( or ip35-e if you can do without a 1334 port and RAID)
q6600
8800gt
Case:
high end: Thermaltake Armor, Antec 900, Gigabyte auora 3d (or w/e)
Regular: Cooler master RC-690
psu: Corsair 520hx, Seasonic 500 watt, Xclio Greatpower 550
Memory : 2x 1 GB crucial ballistix ddr2 800
CPU Heatsink fan: either Tuniq Tower 120 or Thermalright 120 extreme (note you have to buy a seperate fan on the second one)
HDD: Seagate 500gb 7200.11 or go 1TB if you need more space
OS: if you can "aquire" get XP then switch to vista when its more fine tuned, if you cant then just get vista premium now

hope i didnt go over :)

build is spot on ^^ great HD's too.

X38 because its more for benchmarking.

X48 is coming out soon and so is the 7 series chipset but that P5K board is a really good overclockers.

And the eVGA 680I boards are mostly a rebranded 680I motherboard with an eVGA sticker on them.

P5K for overclocking does a much better job.

x-48 is going to be cherry picked boards and is only going to support ddr3 just as a precaution. But the abit x38 board is looking good.

that ram is good for that mobo. No they dont have to be the same, The motherboard supports 1066mhz and slower frequency ram .. i.e 800mhz Ballistix.

you will be able to overclock the ram so its nearer the 1000mhz anyway ;)

thanks, purchase processed. Can't wait for it to arrive. Hope i dont have any problems putting it together. Theres a first time for everything ;)
thanks to everyone for your advice, i wouldnt be able to do it without these forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom