My 8800GT and overclocking

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't believe one has to be Orthos/Prime95 "stable" to be classified as such. Stable to me is my computer doing what I need it to without crashing. It doesn't have to handle an extremely CPU intense program.

For example, my Trans Am can go 160MPH. Do I ever go that fast? No. Is that more than enough for me? Yes. Is it enough for NASCAR? Definitely not. But it needs to be able to go 70-80mph with no problems and maybe 120-160mph sometimes for fun. I don't need 200+mph.
Actually...you can't really consider an overclock "true" until you are stable. Stability is a vague term, but most consider it Orthos/Prime stable for at least 8 hours. You may run fine under certain circumstances, but then have unexpected problems (random reboots and stuff).

Actually...you can't really consider an overclock "true" until you are stable. Stability is a vague term, but most consider it Orthos/Prime stable for at least 8 hours. You may run fine under certain circumstances, but then have unexpected problems (random reboots and stuff).

Who determined that Orthos/Prime is the standard for being stable? You're right, stable is a vague term and therefore shouldn't be limited to a general statement or assessment. You're almost contradicting yourself here saying that stability is a vague term and we're unsure what would truly qualify as stable yet you boldly state that one can be considered stable with an Orthos/Prime 8hr run.

I consider stable the ability to play every game i own, do everything i need to do and not crash. I said it before and i'll say it again, i see no reason to push tons of unneeded voltage through my chip just so i can let some program run my cpu at 100% load for 8 hours.

there is a difference between stable.. and overclocked.. i'm sorry, but overclocking isnt just about stability... it all depends on ur purpose of overclocking

some people will overclock for the sake of a record (such as i).. but i'm not saying i don't go for stability as well

but my consideration of stability... would be: being able to do everything the user does, on a day to day bases w/o having any unusual troubles

i guess thats a way to put it

because i know me.. and plenty of others.. will go for insane suicide runs just to get a super pi time.. w/ the stability being troubled enough just to save a screen shot in pain!!! i know those days :)

Exactly my point. My 3.6ghz q6600 is stable for me. It has never crashed or bsod'd. But i have run a 3.8ghz suicide run, man it got hot. Actually i think im going to lap my TRUE when i get home from work today and see if i can get the temps down then go for 4ghz :p

You would be very amazed what a cold garage and a shop fan can do for your temps. I was shocked that at 3.6 GHz, my G0 was only around 50*C on a stock cooler. Of course that was a suicide run anyway because I could never hope to run at anywhere near 3.6 GHz 24/7 without a good cooler, which I'm 3 dollars away from I think :).

I'm not contradicting myself. Overclocks don't mean **** to anyone but yourself (which is fine unless you are going to advertise your OC) unless they are stable. As I said you could run every game you have but not have a stable clock because the components wouldn't handle a stress test. The reason Orthos and Prime are used is because they stress the components to make sure they don't crap out and have just become the "standard" by overclockers. Now, if you don't care about holding any records or being in an OC database somewhere then you probably don't care about stability. Personally, I like to know I have a true stable overclock and know that my PSU will hold up or my RAM isn't going to crap out or something. My dillema right now is that I maintained Prime stability for 10 hours, but one core failed at about 10.5. I could enter this into the DIY-Street OCDB for instance, but am I truly stable...I don't think so.

I'm confused. So is my 3.6ghz q6600 not stable? I mean ive had it running at this clock for close to 4 months now with 0 crashes or bsod's but it wont pass orthos.

I fit my definition of stable so I'm happy. Sorry I don't conform to yours, but don't get so worked up over it.
I'm not getting worked up. I'm not even criticizing you. I am simply saying that an overclock isn't "counted" by certain groups, testers, etc. because it isn't stable. If you are happy then awesome. Congrats. No biggie.
I'm confused. So is my 3.6ghz q6600 not stable? I mean ive had it running at this clock for close to 4 months now with 0 crashes or bsod's but it wont pass orthos.
Technically...no. Personally...if you are happy then yea.

Let me put it this way. When Anandtech or TomsHardware or Overclockers Club reviews a chip they overclock it. They don't say this chip will overclock to 4.2 and run all your apps and games, but it won't survive Orthos or Prime. They always state the highest stable clock and set that as a benchmark. But as I said before, if you aren't going to advertise your clock then whatever you are happy with is what is fine to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom